Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really smoked eye round roast

Options
Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read in the past that to maximize the smoke effect, stick a piece of meat in the freezer before putting it on the Egg. Tonight I coated a whole eye round roast with one of the McCormick's spice rubs and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before the Egg.[p]I put lots of soaked oak chunks on the hot coals and did the roast indirect at about 300 deg F. Took it off at about 130 deg F internal--in the middle. Wow - was it good. Obviously smoky, but not strong at all. I think it took about 1.5 hours on the Egg plus 0.5 hours wrapped in foil.[p][p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Janet,[p]I am not a big fan of "smokey" but I know some are. You don't gain much, if anything, by soaking a chunk of wood. Smoking occures when there is heat but not enough oxygen. The water just slows down the process as the water steams off 1st. No extra smoke and you want the most smoke early in the cook. You will also get LOTS more smoke if you start it out at a lower temp where the wood smokes more - like 250°, then raise it up to grilling temps. The higher the temp, the less smoke you will have and around 350-375° it won't smoke at all - it bursts into flames. [p]Enjoy[p]Tim