Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin venison tenderloin

Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Neighbor wants me to Egg a venison tenderloin tomorrow.. Please help me with a recipe as to marinate, direct or indirect, time and temp and anything else I need to know..Thanks a lot.

Ray Price aka Babyray

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I do hams/roast and marinate with italian salad dressing. Cook indirect 350F, pull at 150F. Here is another method.

Venison, Tenderloin, DeerHunter

Yes, I know, a roulade is supposed to be some sort of fancy dessert, but I decided to go "Alabama Style" and make one with a deer tenderloin.I have had an egg for a little over a year, and am finally comfortable cooking on it. I have always visited the forum, but this is my first share - enjoy!

Procedure:
    1 First, I s-cut the tenderloin, laid it flat and then pounded out until it was nice and flat. Then I marinated the meat in Moores (you can go fancier if you want, but I was pressed for time).
    2 Next, I cooked some bacon, but just partially, leaving it only cooked half-way. I do this, because when wrapping grilled items with bacon, the bacon never cooks al the way, unless you allow the meat it is wrapped around to overcook.
    3 I then laid out the bacon strips and laid the venison out on top of them. While I had some fresh bacon grease, I sauteed some mushrooms and spinach and layed them both in layers on top of the flattened tenderloin.
    4 I topped the veggies with sprinkled goat cheese, although next time, I will use a different cheese, like feta or parmesan - the goat cheese left a pasty taste in my mouth that I did not care for - or I might leave the cheese out all together.
    5 Finally, I took the ends of the bacon and the edge of the tenderloin and rolled everything up, securing it with toothpicks that had been soaking in water.
    6 I brought the dome temperature up to 300 and indirectly grilled the sucker for about 20 minutes, or as you can see, to a medium temp - I let the polder sit this one out. Before pulling it off the grill, I brushed some homemade BBQ sauce on top and the result was delicious!
    7 See for yourself:

Recipe Type
    Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: DeerHunter

Source: BGE Forum, DeerHunter, 2006/06/26
  • MCG DAWG
    MCG DAWG Posts: 59
    I cook a good bit of backstrap/tenderloin on my BGE.

After thawing I soak in buttermilk for 12-24 hours in the fridge. That pulls out a lot of the left over blood/gaminess. I then lightly marinate with some Allegro liquid marinade but just a little goes a long way.

I wrap in bacon secured with tootpicks, sear at about 600 or so direct, let rest as I bring the temp down to 350 and finish to a final inner temp of 125 tops. Any more than that and you've over done it. Because it's so lean it's VERY easy to overcook venison.

I like to serve over wild rice with grilled corn on the side.
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Thanks MCG DAWG, How long was your sear at 600 and was it on each side?
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    One of the best Backstrap that I had was at an Eggtoberfest. As I recall it was marinaded in Dale's and then cooked at a high temp until it was Medium Rare.

It quick, simple and it was awesome.
    RhumAndJerk
  • MCG DAWG
    MCG DAWG Posts: 59
    No more than 90-120 seconds and I did it on each side. It'll depend on just how big the backstrap is. One off a nice buck is going to take a little more than one off a 90-100lb doe.

It's a completely different subject for another forum but I only shoot a buck if I'm going to put in on the wall. Rest of the time I harvest 2-4 does a year for the meat. That doe meat is MUCH better than a buck in my opinion.
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Posts: 26
    I cooked a tenderloin the other day on the egg. My favorite way is to marinate the tenderloin in Zesty Italian dressing and Dales sauce. I put enough Dales in with the Zesty to give it a dark Brown muddy color. I allow this to marinate at least 4 hours but 24 hours is better. Wrap the loin in bacon and grill raised direct at 400 dome basting with the left over marinate untill the enternal is 125 to 135. YOU DO NOT WAT TO OVER COOK VENISON. I like mine Medium. My family LOVES deer cooked this way its so good it will make your tongue will slap your forehead. :woohoo:
  • MCG DAWG right on the money it was awesome
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Old thread brought back from the dead! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's