Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

indirect setup & method

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Taking delivery of my large BGE today. Interested in using indirect method for ribs (after a trial run with something simple). I've read that inverted plate setter should be used but also hear of fire brick. Where does one get a fire brick? Also understand a drip pan is needed but do I need water as well or does BGE take care of the moisture.

I've seen reference to 3-1-1 but don't really know what the steps are.

Any advise of dirction to links would be greatly apreciated. Realize this is likely more of the same for most of you so please be gentle.

Thanks.

Ken (VA)

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    First of all Welcome aboard! The inverted plate setter works fine. Fire brick "halves" are available at many home improvement stores that have fireplace repair materials. Water is not needed in a BGE, but I do use a dry drip pan lined with foil foe sake of clean up. And lastly here is at least one description of the method.
    http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/foilribs/FoiledRibs.htm
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    you dont need water in the drip pan (you can use it if you want too) and the drip pan can be used as an inderect setup without any added mass. i use firebricks, pizza stone, or drip pan or a combiation of any of those for my setups. fire bricks can be found at brickyards or fireplace shops, you want the ones called splits if you go that route. two bricks and another grill will give you a cheap raised grill setup, i used that for years before buyng an adjustable grill setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    There is also a lot of great information here

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ron hit it all for you, but I do not use a drip pan for ribs because they really don't drip much and the platesetter is self cleaning in a hot egg.

No need to add water, juice, or beer to anything you cook in the egg - it retains moisture very well.

3-1-1 is outlined on WessB's site very well. Many people adapt it a little and use more or less time in the foil stage depending on how "done" they want the ribs. Also, 3-1-1 is for baby backs, spares are more of a 4-1-1 or 3-2-1 cook as they take longer.

Good luck, ask away, and take pics! Welcome.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Fire bricks/platesetter/pizza stone - you just need something to give you indirect heat. See this Dizzy Pig set up for an example http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesRibs.html

I like using the platesetter, feet up, with a 14inch pizza pan full of water/apple juice/vinegar resting on it. The water doesn't so much add moisture as it does keep the drippings from charring and helps put some of the aromatics back into the air.

Here's how I do spareribs:3-2-1 Spare Ribs. The 3-2-1 method means smoking the ribs as normal for 3 hours, followed by 2 hours of cooking them wrapped in foil, and then 1 more hour unwrapped.

And here's my babybacks: Baby Back Ribs. I find them to be a pretty easy cook just doing them indirect with any foil.

Hope this helps,

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Definately get yourself a plate setter. It is just too easy to use, not to have one. Sure firebricks work great to.
    Also, 3-1-1 and variations are great for ribs, but not a requirement by any means. You can just slow cook them babies until they start to break away when pulling on them, sauce them up, shut down your vents and leave them on for another 10 minutes, and you will have a delicious meal on your hands.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thank you all for your excellent and timely advice. I'm mostly installed - wresting getting the egg into the next. DVD instructions for tightening the bands kinda freaked me out - not loking for cracked ceramic on day 1.

Thanks again.

Ken (VA)
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Drip pan is handy for keeping the plate setter clean. You can use juice or liquid if you like (I put apple juice in mine) Just remember to either use 3-4 crumpled balls of foil or the feet that came with the egg under the drip pan to keep drippings from scorching and giving off bad smells.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    If you keep the heat under 250 and put something as a spacer between your drip pan and your stone or placesetter than the grease will not smoke and give off harmfull cancer producing smoke. This smoke does not add a very good flavor to the meat either.

Since I have a XL and the vertical space is limited, I normaly put a 19 inch stone that is hung on a hanger from eggaccessories. Than I use two small rods to hold a alum pan with foil slightly above the stone. If your pan contacts the around stone or placesetter their is more of a chance of the grease burning.

I have use apple cider in a drip pan with higher side and also no liquids in the drip pan. I do not see a big differance. Depends on how much work you want to do.
    It does not take a lot of wood to smoke the ribs on a green egg. I normally put some cherry chips in a dog dish with water and let soak for awhile and than spead them over the charcoal.

If you can add them after your charcoal is burning with out a lot of smoke, that is a good time to add the chips also.
    I do not sauce my ribs and only use a dry rub while cooking them. I normally use a lot of sauce when eating ribs that have a good dry rub. I do like a dry rub called BUTT RUB but you do not want to put it on to thick.

Another strange thing is my best ribs have been when I get them home from the store and peel the membrane off and then put the dry rub on and right to the egg cold.