Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook

Options
beerbaron
beerbaron Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a dozen chicken wings for my first cook this evening on my new large Egg. They turned out fine (about 40 minutes, direct fire, 375-400 degrees.
Should my charcoal be completely burning when I damper down to get cooking, or should there be black coal mixed in? I seemed to be cooking more on the rear of the grill than the front.
Did I do something wrong?
Rub was terrible --a chicken concoction from McCormick Grill Mates, but my Dizzy Pig rubs not here yet.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    No, but you should light the egg in 3 to 4 spots about 2 inches from the edges say at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock.

For short cooks you will always have lump that isn't burning and that is OK. Just shut the egg down and let it go out. Re-use it tomorrow night.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I have what I call a hot spot that will occur in the back of my egg when I cook. What I have done that has helped even it out is just before I cook I will pull the grate and use the ash tool to stirr the burning lump. I only do it for cooks above 300. Others might have answers to eliminate this but that's my 2 cents worth of what I do. Congrats on the egg and welcome aboard. Many more good cooks to ya! John
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you have a hot spot as many eggs do, you can always spin the grid a time or two to move stuff from the front to back as needed.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Be patient with it. You'll get the hang of the egg soon. My first couple of cooks were awful! I was putting the meat on as soon as I got to temp (after over shooting temps on a few occasions) and was getting terrible flavor from the lump because it hadn't stablized yet. Let the smoke clear from the blue hue and light in several places and you'll be fine.