Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new bge owner

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg for about 3 weeks. I'm loving it so far but I still need practice. I'm not used to a smoker to hold a temp. where I want it for that long. I've always had to cheat to get the tenderness. Anyway, does anyone have a recipe for country style ribs?

Comments

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Don't have a recipe, but welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy your egg as much as we do ours.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I assume you speaking about Country Style Beef Ribs. Not a lot of good recipes out there but it's also pretty hard to mess up. The Recipe section has this one.http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=889
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Country style ribs are in reality sliced pork butt some are bone in and some are boneless. I treat them like little mini pork butts, each one weighs about 1 pound + or - , rub with favorite rub, low and slow for two hrs or longer untill thermometer reads 195, take meat off and rest. Sauce or not pull or not its all good.

FireWalker
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Welcome to the forum and eggdom.

Fire Walker's suggestion is the only way I've ever done country style ribs - but you can foil them with a splash or apple juice to get them extra tender and cut the cooking time a bit. Then take them out of the foil, sauce, and let them set for 5-10 minutes, then eat.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Welcome aboard and congrats on your new hobby.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    there are two types of country ribs, trick is to know which to buy, and find a butcher that has what you want. i never seen the ones noted below made from a butt until about 10 years ago. the ones we always had were made from the fattier smaller end of a loin and i guess most places around the country just ground them up. this is a pic of a country rib roast, it can be roasted as is, cut into ribs and roasted with bbq sauce added at the end. it makes great chinese ribs and red pork loin. its fattier than a loin, has more dark meat than a loin, and much more flavor than a loin roast. its, i believe the origional country rib before someone came up with the idea of making them from a butt. they always made them from a but , butt tyhe name given was butt steaks or pork steaks. if you can get the loin style country ribs you can roast it, trex it, reverse trex it etc, 300 to 350 dome temps direct is good, internal temps no higher than 145. if the butcher is good at what he does he will also sell the 2 inch section of ribs that this is cut off of, this section is called riblets and you want to cook those at temps around 275, i attached a pic of those at the end
    b6139abf.jpg

085c2448.jpg

20ba33ad.jpg

aa0dcada.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I appreciate the advice from everyone. My main concern was time & temp. Just to let you know I've been reading the forum since I got the egg and have learned a lot of stuff. Everyone is so cool and helpful even to the beginners. Thanks for everything.

RJB
    Arkansas
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    It might be worth the effort and the charcoal to spend an afternoon fooling around with temp control. Once you get the hang of it life will begin for you here in the Cult.

The best way to control your dome temp it to watch closely after you light up the Egg. For this purpose we'll pretend we're going to do a low and slow. Start by lighting your lump smack dab in the middle.

MAke a little hollow and put your lighting cube in. Light it. Now close the lid. I usually put the daisy top on after the temp has started to rise and I leave it half way open at least.

(You can if you choose lay a couple of pieces of lump teepee style over the flame if you want. Or blast your MAPP torch for a few seconds to start the lump.)

Now wait. There will be a slight rise on your dome temp gauge but that's just from the flame of the starter cube.

Watch as the temperature begins to rise, now, using your lower vent which would have been all the way open. Tap the lower vent gently closing it just a hair or tow. As you watch the rise of the gauge needle will slow or stop.

Now you're at the threshold of your temp control. Tap it open or closed as you watch the temperature respond.

For our low and slow our target temp is 250º pay attention now. As it nears 200º close it just a bit to slow the rise.

See where I headed with this?

In no time you'll have the temp control down so you don't even give it a second thought.

I watched one of the old guard members cook ribs with not daisy wheel one time holding the 275º she had chosen as steady as a rock. AS a newbie at the time I was impressed and today it's second nature to 'just cook' and not think about it.

Now go practice and let us know how you do.