Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

where do I get wood chunks?

Options
jcv
jcv Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today, I will be ordering my Thermapen, some rubs from Dizzy Pig and some wood. Most folks here seem to talk about using wood "chunks" not chips. I can't find anything locally so I plan to order a couple of different types of wood online.

So, should I be getting "chunks"? And where is a good place to get them?

Thanks
Jay

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    have you checked stores such as Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot? Just about any grilling section at stores like these has at least the Weber wood chunks.
    If you still have no luck here is an online store where I have ordered woods not available from local merchants. Huge slection ut shipping is almost the same amount of product:
    www.peopleswoods.com
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Hawgeyes sells wood chunks and Mike is good guy to deal with.

Hawgeyes BBQ

Lowes, Home Depot, etc. should all carry mesquite and hickory chunks fairly cheaply. If you have BBQs Galore near you, they also sell a lot of different types of chunks. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Spudman
    Spudman Posts: 10
    Options
    My local Walmart has mesquite and hickory chunks or chips. No lump charcoal though, unfortunately. :huh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    ive ordered hickory and cherry from hawgeyes bbq and you can get guava wood from guava wood farms. those are the three woods i use the most. call hawgeyes and find out which box size full is most economical and get a good amount to save on multiple shipping expenses. you use more than you think you will over a years time. i also use pecan but i use pellets for that.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    I use http://www.hawaiiguava.com/ to order Guava wood and I find I use it 90% of the time. My local big chains carry a variety of other woods but my family loves the nice mellow smoke of the Guava and Greg is one really nice guy.

Lazydog B)