Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked salmon, anyone?

Options
greeneggonmyface
greeneggonmyface Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to smoke some salmon filets on our BGE. Any hints appreciated. Thanks! Also - when grilling veggies, is it best to wrap in foil, or can you just place them on the grill rack or in a basket?

Comments

• greeneggonmyface,
    I can't say too much about the salmon aspect but ass far as the veggies go, toss them into a basket and you will be good to go. No need to foil.[p]Matt.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    greeneggonmyface,
    Do you mean you want to cold smoke or just cook with smoke? Last night I had two filets that were just over an inch thick. I did them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees using alder wood chips for the smoke. Oh yeah....[p]As for veggies, you might take a look at my version of Nature Boy's wokked veggies. I point you to mine because I don't know where his is! :-)[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Recipes[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • greeneggonmyface
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Yeah, I think I meant just cooking it with smoke. Cold smoking if far beyond my capacity at the moment...still a newbie. have not had BGE more than a week and a half yet and trying things in small increments of skill levels.[p]I have a question about the wood chunks. After I soak them in water, do I then drain them and just drop them onto the fire, or do I add them at the same time i am building my fire?[p]Thanks for the fish info and also that veggie recipe sounds perfect for tonight! I have all ingredients already. Thank you!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    greeneggonmyface,
    I use chips for relatively short cooks. 30 minutes isn't a very long cook, so the smoke only has to be present for probably 15 minutes. I usually soak chips since they will ignite more easily than chunks. So, I soak them for about 20-30 minutes. [p]When I'm ready to cook, I drain the chips real well and toss them on the fire. I then put a grid in, put 3 half firebricks on edge on the bottom grid, then another grid on the bricks. I do this because the fish grid that I use just barely fits in the egg and I don't want to have to reach down into the egg to get it out. I put it on a raised grid and it is much easier to get it out. But, by the time I get the bricks and grids on, the chips have started smoking. On goes the fish, I close up the egg, open the vents to get the heat back up to 350, then close the vents back to where I had them. The wet chips dampen the fire and it usually takes 5 minutes to get the temp back up. I'd bet dry chips wouldn't do that and the temp would recover more quickly, but I don't think it matters. [p]If your filets are thinner than mine were, you might want to cut back to 20-25 minutes.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    greeneggonmyface,[p]I love salmon. Cook mine at dome of 425. First side 5 minutes, second side 5 minutes, 5 minute dwell. Those'll come out about medium well. Dwell length will adjust doneness. Olive oil and lemon, plus whatever else you think the salmon needs.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb