Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg and Forum newbie asking roast advice

Synblade
Synblade Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody, been doing a lot of lurking and just wanted to drop in and say hello! I just bought a large big green egg last Thursday and have been having a lot of fun grilling. It's actually my first charcoal grill :)

I had a question -- I'm planning on doing a bottom round roast tonight and was wondering the best way to do it.

What I was planning was getting the egg to 500 degrees or so, then searing the roast all of the way around, then removing it and letting the temp drop. Then I was going to put in some soaked hickory chunks and the plate setter, a drip pan, and the grill, then roasting it indirect at 325 or so until medium rare.

Anyone have any suggestions on if this will work out? Expect more posts from me in the future as well -- I'll try not to ask silly questions :) Thanks!

-Nate

Comments

• Hmmm. Sounds tasty. I think you're on the right track. Let us know how it works out.

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I'm not sure you need to sear the roast. I usually do mine direct at around 375/400 to an internal temp of 135 for rare. You need to slice very thin across the grain for it to be tender. I season with a heavy dose of salt and pepper.. I served it on a crusty roll with a horseraddish sauce. This is a picture of a rump roast I did a while back. Good luck, Tom RumpRoast4.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I did a 3.5lb.bottom round roast yesterday in a Dutch oven it came out nice and tender a bit overcooked for me but was great for the guests.

I seared it well on all sides in the DO and then added hot beef stock and water to almost cover cooked at 350 covered for a few hours along with a bid Butternut squash. Wife made great gravy while roast was resting. It was very tender for a lean cut of meat.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    I did sear the outside, then roast to 140 degrees (but Tom's looks great)!!
    1839aa0e.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
  • Synblade
    I think I'm going to go ahead with my plan and see how it turns out, maybe I'll get some burgers for backup :) Thanks for the info folks!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Searing will give some good flavor. You don't need to soak your chunks. Often, even chips in the Egg will not catch fire. The air flow is too low. Good sized chunks are likely to remain for the next cook.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Before you do consider this. If you do a reverse sear, that is bring roast up to just below serving temp. remove roast, cover with foil, bring egg up to 500, do your sear, done deal it is alot easier to bring the egg up to 500 than it is too try to cool it down to roasting temp. you can do this direct or indirect.

FireWalker
  • Synblade
    I was thinking about doing it this way -- it probably would be easier to put the plate setter on when the egg is at 325 than at 500. What temp should I take the roast off before bringing the egg up? 110?
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    I would think about 120 the meat will continue to cook alittle while its resting.
    FW
  • Synblade
    Worked out pretty good, the cut of meat isn't a very tender one though so it was a little chewy.

I did have an issue keeping the temperature in the egg down low enough. Most of the time was spent around 350 degrees when I wanted it at 325 -- I had the bottom vent closed like 95% of the way and the daisy wheel mostly closed and the temp still wouldn't go down. This makes me worried for when I actually want to smoke things. Anyone got any advice?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Adding a cold platesetter might be enough to help bring the temp down from 500...never tried it though