Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked Wizz calls it right

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I just could'nt understand it! Three spatchcock chickens all rubery and dry. I tried it with an elevated grill and a lower one. I brined one - still bad chicken - all ccoked at 350 degrees for one hour. 'The wizz' suggested that I check the tempature gauge. I did and found that it was 'out' by about 25 degrees at 212 F boiling point. I calibrated the gauge and this time used a tempature probe. At 50 minutes (lower grill) the probe indicated that the chicken was fully cooked and for the first time juicy with just the right amount of smoke flavour. Naked Wizz - does the 50 minutes make a sense to you? Or would you question the result? Also while I did calibrate the gauge when I purchased the egg (two or three months ago) it appears that this is something that one may wish to do periodically. So there we are - a convert and a believer. Thanks "Wizz" - appreciated. Now lets see if the gauge correction permits me to 'deliver' on the ribs this weekend. Question - how does one use a 'probe' on ribs? Not very much meat to stick it into.

Comments

• Bully,
    50 minutes would be reasonable. I used to cook 'em 45 minutes and flip them, but then I decided not to flip them but cook them an hour to see if it helped get crispier skin. So, if you think the bird is done in 50, it is not at all unreasonable (at least for a 3-4 pound bird.) [p]You may have a thermometer that is a little loose which allows the dial to move if you rotate it in the egg? Except for the dial moving, I wouldn't think a thermometer would get out of calibration, certainly not that much.[p]As for ribs, I have flunked ribs 101 twice and am having to retake it during summer school. I do know that you judge ribs being done by the meat pulling back from the bone and rotating the bone etc, but I'd ask the xperts....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Bully,[p]I've found the key with most BGE cooking is to almost always do it by internal temp, and never do it by time. Time is a rough guide, while internal temp is very exact. 50 minutes vs. 60 minutes can be accounted for in a large number of ways: fat content, meat thickness, starting internal temp, a hot spot in the grill. Just too many variables. However, internal temp is hard to fool.[p]Like TNW I've pretty much flunked most of my rib classes as well. I've recently started to do better, however. I think the main reason I suck at ribs, is because you can’t really cook them to an internal temp (someone once posted that an internal temp of 190, might mean they are done). You cook them until they are done by feel. Significant pullback from the ends of the bone is one facet. I think most believe if they are falling off the bone, they are done, if not over done. I like to cut them in half (from slab to rack length) near the end of the cook, to check for doneness now. I might even sample a rib at that point, just to be sure…[p]The 3/1/1.5 method for ribs might work for you. That’s 3 hours indirect, followed by 1 hour in foil, followed by 1.5 hours mixed direct and indirect. All cooked at 225. That’s a timed method, but be wary of any spikes in the cooking temp. Ribs will overcook fairly easily.[p]Here’s a link: http://yyyz.net/Bge/R_3-2-1_ribs.asp[p]Good luck,[p]--sdb
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Bully,[p]To test for rib doneness......[p]Use a thermo probe or toothpick and insert between the bones..it should slide thru easily.[p]OR, if doing a whole rack, pick it up in the middle and it should sag noticeably.[p]Also, look for the meat to pull back from the end of the bones. This is not always accurate, as it will pull back but many times they are still not done.[p]A temp of 190-200º is accurate for the meat, but very hard to get a good temp......unless you are doing bronto spares.[p]Best thing is to take VERY accurate and detailed notes, then you can go by timing alone.[p]Stogie
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Bully,[p]I'm relatively new to ceramic cooking but have yet to be disappointed with the ribs. I've done them several times now, and each time they turned out GREAT! I used a recipe/method called 3-1-1.5 which has worked wonderfully each time. [p]My dome temp was between 225 and 250 most of the time and I used Gilded Splinters as my rub. The night before I planned to cook, I sprinkled heavily with the rub and wrapped in saran wrap. Then the next day, I just followed the recipe from Tim M. (see the link below), first cooking indirect for 3 hrs, then wrapping in foil for 1 hr then combination direct/indirect for the last 1 - 1.5 hrs.[p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/[p]So far, they've been outstanding every time.....Good luck!

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Pick out the thickest part on the ribs and insert the temp probe length-wise into the meat. Make sure the probe does not touch the bone.[p]My Method:
    1- Remove membrane from ribs
    2- Apply dry rub (sometimes I only use salt, pepper & garlic)
    3- Wrap in saran wrap the night before
    4- Dome temp at 200-225, indirect heat w/ plate setter
    5- Stand-up ribs in rib rack
    6- Insert probe
    7- Internal temp reaches 165-170
    8- Remove ribs and wrap in foil
    9- Place back on grill, cook in foil until temp reaches 200
    10- Remove, let set for 10 minutes and serve[p]Takes about 5 1/2 hours all together.[p]I recently vacuum-sealed a batch, boiled in the pouch to reheat a couple days later, and served'em up. Absolutely awesome.