Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

platesetter question

Options
Bigbawb
Bigbawb Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All!I know that in the past ,some links were posted about obtaining a platesetter from a ceramics distributor:I'm looking to get one for my small-- any suggestions?? thanx in advance! Bigbawb

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Bigbawb,[p]Is this a ceramic mass question (pizza and bread), or is it a "how to raise the grid" question, or both? Here's a couple of thoughts ...[p]A very effective way to raise the grid on the small is to do what I first saw and copied from YB. Buy another 14" grid, and affix four 3 1/2" (I think) carriage bolts to the second grid, effectively creating legs for the grid. Doing this will significantly increase the surface area to the grill. Maybe YB will read this and post a picture of this setup.[p]To build an effective "hearth" for the Egg you can use a combination of firebricks or you can go the ceramics route. I use ceramics so I'm sure someone else will pick up the firebrick side.[p]For ceramic mass you have other options besides a plate setter. First of all, you can get away with ceramic mass with a diameter up to 12" inches as long as you provide for air to freely flow up the wall of the Egg to the dome. To build an effective "hearth" for the Egg with ceramics you'll need at least 1" total thickness of ceramic. Look for kiln shelves and spacers. I've seen kiln shelves in the following shapes (and there's probably many more): round, square, rectangle, and hexagon. I have round and hexagon ceramics. One downside to kiln shelves is that they are not cheap - relatively speaking. Spacers are kiln fired ceramics and I have some in 1/2" 1 1/2" heights, and widths of 1 1/2", 2" and 3". They're used to sit on top of the grid and support the kiln shelves, effectively raising the shelves high enough to allow good air flow.[p]Another option is to buy a second fire ring. Place it on top of the grid and then put a pizza stone or kiln shelf (minimum 1" combined thickness) on top of it.[p]I've seen plate setters for the small at some ceramic supply houses. I've only seen them however with 4" to 8" holes in the middle, so make sure that the plate setter is solid and does not have a 4" to 8" hole in the center. You're better off buying a second fire ring than to buy a plate setter with holes in the middle.[p]There's some early morning ramblings. Hope it helps,[p]Puj