Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Chicken

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know the correct answer is "till it's done", but how long and at what temps should boneless chicken breasts be cooked at? I do my thighs for 20 min a side, wings for 15 min a side and we all know the spatchcocked chicken times. I seem to forget that a chicken breast cooks much faster.
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Wardster,
    "How long should a man's legs be?"
    "Long enough to reach the ground."[p]That said, I have only done boneless breasts one time that I can remember and I am pretty sure I did them at 350 for 15 minutes total. I know that when I pan fry breasts on the stove, I do them on medium for 15 minutes total. And I think when I used to do them on the $99 drugstore gas grill, I'd do them 15 minutes total over medium heat, so I think my answer would be 15 minutes total. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Wardster,
    My answer is a bit different. We cook them over a hot fire: 450-600 for about 4-5 minutes a side. That gives a "grilled" appearance to the surface, fully cooks the meat, and leaves it moist and tender. I've never stuck a thermometer into the meat, but that would be the most accurate.Need to reach 160.
    Regards.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Wardster,
    I do mine like Marvin. The grill lines make for a much tastier looking piece of meat and the flash heat helps to keep the moisture inside. Try it. A couple of cooks and you will get the hang of it.[p]When I cooked it the slow way at lower temps the meat came out rubbery (taste and texture) so I stopped doing it that way. I'm sure I could have worked on it a bit and improved it if I was willing to try. No need to now that I figured out the fast cook.[p]Good luck[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Wardster,
    Squash them first (pound with meat mallet or run over with a steamroller), and give them about 3 min/side. Always tender and delicious.
    Cheers,
    Gretl