Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi II & Pizza????

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be cooking pizza on my small in a few weeks when we are camping. Can I use the Digi Q II to get my small up to 550-600 degrees without hurting the probes?

I do have the 10cfm fan and the adapter for the small (thanks Fiero guy).

I have not had a chance to set up my new Digi II yet so thought I would ask first...

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    if you read the booklet the probes are only supposed to be exposed to 400 and change so NO. the digi doesnt have a setting that high. you can use the fan without the probes but i find it gets hotter without the fan with the vents wide open. just my buck less .98
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with it. You should be able to control the temperature for pizza on your own. Plus you won't be cooking for that long, so you shouldn't need to worry about unattended temperature control. The probes should be good to 700 degrees, but you can get flames coming up around the plate setter/pizza stone that will exceed that. I'd just use what you know about using the vents to control the fire. The cooker is very responsive to changes at high temperatures so it isn't like you'll have to tweek a vent and then wait for 10 minutes to see the effect. I'm a big fan of the DigiQ II and the Stoker, but I'd never use one for this type of cooking. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The new probes on the DigiQ-II are covred with metal braid and are good to 700 degrees.
    The Naked Whiz
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have heard (read) the probe wires can get to 700 degrees...TNW website actually says 700 also...I just don't want to chance it and burn up my probes.... :blush:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I agree with that, the only time I use my Gurus is for the all nighters. -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I agree with Randy and Doug. These temp controllers are designed for low and slows not hot and fast.