Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon & Scallop Tips or Methods

Dirty1
Dirty1 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hit Fresh Market this am and picked up a piece of Wild King Salmon and some collosal Scallops to grill this afternoon. I do not have a wood plank. Any tips, temps or favorite recipes for either. Much appreciated and Happy Fathers Day.
Dirty1

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I like salmon indirect at 325 until about 130 internal, then I drizzle with a 2:1:1 honey, maple syrup, bourbon glaze on both sides for about 2 minutes.

Cook topped with lemon slices and a little raging river rub if you have it.

The scallops I like to do direct with a little tsunami spin and brushed with butter to get nice browning and a little crust on them. A lot of people bacon wrap them, but the big boys are best to me on their own - super sweet!

Done2.jpg
  • Dirty1
    Dirty1 Posts: 42
    Thank you. I like the scallops stand alone as well. What temp and time do you do the scallops. I would imaging 400 or so for a couple mins a side?
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    put a 'bed' of lemon slices on the grill put salmon on top of that so it does not stick.
  • I do raised grid for an indirect cook and works great with the salmon. Be sure to oil the grid to prevent sticking.
    I throw on a few alder wood chips for a little smoke. Be sure to check out Dizzy Pig Salmon receipe. Really is good.

Just saw Kroger is starting their wild salmon sale $3.99.

Jim
    Snellville, Ga
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    I can't remember egging scallops, but one tip I would give you is to by "dry" scallops instead of the normal supermarket fare. The standard scallops have about 25% water added, and this water extrudes when you cook them, creating steam, destroying that nice sear you want on a scallop.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Wow, here in eastern WA, I got my first wild salmon last week at Costco - $15/lb; this week it was 13 I think. Maybe Exxon is selling them...anyway, love your price.