Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooler For Ribs?

FlaMike
FlaMike Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've put brisket in the cooler for as few hours, and butts in the cooler for up to 5-6 hrs, all with greast results. Now I'm thinking of doing ribs & chicken for a group of 8. Do I cook the ribs first and then into the cooler for 1 1/2 hrs while the chicken cooks? Or will the ribs steam too much and fall off the bone? What's the best way to do a rib ( 3 racks) and chicken parts combination?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Mike,

I have had good luck 'holding' both ribs and chicken.

The ribs, some pork and some beef, tasted great after 2.5 hours and were hot to the touch.

Chicken, I have held for 1/5 hours and they held up just fine.

As for the ribs 'steaming' that is a possibility, I didn't notice that with mine.

Chicken, I would think would be better if they happened to 'steam'.

Personally I have had better foiling and snugly wrap in a thick blanket. I purchased some fleece, stadium blanket type material, to use. I don't have to fool around with newspaper or empty air space in the cooler, things like that.

If you don't have any other 'item' in the cooler to help heat up that space it is going to take the heat out of whatever you place in the cooler to keep warm.

Unless your guests are 'eggers' I wouldn't think they would notice any way. I have noticed that we eggers get pretty picky about the small stuff when cooking.

Have a great meal.

Kent
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Thanks for the help. I usually use about 4 towels in the cooler, but your fleece idea could be better yet. And you're right. As the only egger, I'll be the only one to know if it's not exactly perfect.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    There are heat packs (the opposite of cold packs which you freeze) available that can be prepped in a microwave and retain a heck of a lot of heat. They'd probably work great in a cooler to support/extend "hold" times. Corningware includes them in their casserole travel kits. Just something I thought worthy of mention..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Neet idea...

gg