Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lots of BB Ribs on my Large

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So the Fam is coming to my house for Fathers Day. The only task this father is being asked to handle is cooking some meat (for 10).
I am thinking ribs, baby backs. However, I currently have just an available setup of only a single grid. I have 2 v-racks. I was thinking that with side dishes, 5-6 slabs would be sufficient. I have a woo2 on the way but won't be here in time.

Any ideas on how to load up my egg with 6 slabs?

Also, a coworker of mine is attending the cooking class at the M.S. tonight, so I could have her pick up a CI grid for me which I have been wanting anyway.

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You could buy a cheapo rib rack from one of those kitchen stores- that will hold 4 racks- then lean the other two racks against it.

Or you can build yourself a raised grid with an 18" dia Weber replacement grid and (3) 4" carriage bolts.
    08-22.jpg

I've seen folks lay 3 racks on the bottom grid and 3 racks on the top. Never tried it myself. But I did cook (6) racks of BB in my Large with (4) in a cheapo rack and (2)leaning against the sides.
  • Crüe-B-Cüe
    Options
    I cooked three racks of St. Loius cut spares a few weeks ago.Depending on the size of the ribs you can lay three flat. Use the plate setter and make a cheapo raised grate. If they won't fit, cook 2 whole and cut the third in half. Place the cut one on the outsides. You should be fine either way.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Seems I remember seeing a pic of ribs cut 3 wide, standing verticle with skewers running through 3-4 sets, providing the stability.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    You know one of these V-racks are rather versatile - when sitting like this it will hold a large roast or turkey up out of a drip pan.
    IMG_1194.jpg

But when flipped over you it will hold 6 racks of BB on edge. Works for me!
    IMG_1195.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    I have never tried it, but have heard of folks tying them in a circle.! Essentially rolling them up and securing them with a toothpick or wrapped with string.

Like I said, never tried it myself.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    rib rack here is my set up with it to do 8 full racks!
    102_1025.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    all you have to do is get them in there. i believe this is the most ever attempted. with an adjustable rig you could probably do alot more. i believe these were done direct but was never certian.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=62119&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it