Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Bird Watchers Here?

Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found this little guy while on my morning bicycle ride. Anybody have a clues as to what it is? Waiting on a call from the bird-rescue people so I can take it to them. Not a great shot but the best I could do at the moment...
Bird.jpg

Comments

• looks like a baby robin to me....its about the time of year when they try to fly out of their nests, flutter to the ground, but dont' have the strength yet to get back up to the nest. .. you didn't notice any really pissed off adult robins buzzing around did you?? . .. if you'd left him/her alone he'd might have been ok and ready to fly in another day or say with the protection of momma and pappa....see a lot of this around my house right now as well. . .give him a little warm milk and mushed cerial to keep him fit till he can fly away on his own and he'll probably be fine. ..
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    It was sitting out in the middle of the road and dead meat for all the birds of prey here, or from the wheel of a car. No, there were no parent birds around as I sized the situation up again after I returned in my truck. My feeling is that it was tossed from the nest by its mother.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    It looks like a robin to me too. A few years ago, we awoke at the crack of dawn on a Saturday to loud squaking. It was a baby crow who had been cornered by two cats. We rescued the crow but his parents flew off. The crow stayed with us for about a week. He ate Alpo (fed by hand) and followed our dog around the house. We brought him outside every day and after a week, he flew away. Fond memories.
    Paul
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ...because we all know there's nuthin a baby bird likes more than a bowl of cheerios!

(how about feeding it a Pearl's hotdog? ...two of which i had fer lunch yesterday. over apple wood. aaaah. with a cuppla beers)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    happy to get away from the people poisoning him with dogfood, probably.

(signed, stike, the thread hijacker! ...signed up for NE Fest, but how do i pay?)
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    It was fun to feed him. He made a guk-guk-guk sound as he was scarfing down each finger full of alpo.

Registration for the NEggfest is a little quirky. They will send you a bill via email.
    Paul
  • doubt if he was tossed by momma, robins are pretty protective. .. more likely he tried to fly too soon and then walked his way to the middle of that road. ..just keep feeding him milk/cerial/alpo?? . ..till he's strong enough to fly ..he'll be fine. ..

you've done your 'mitzvah' for the week!!
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    Looks like a baby robin. Robins get their babies to jump out of the nest before they can fly and continue to feed them on the ground. They usually hide under bushes/shrubs or my back deck. I’m afraid your going to have to crush up some juicy worms for the little guy or you can just moisten some cat kibble with warm water and that will do.
    Baby birds will feed every two hours so if the rescue people take to long to call back feed the little guy or take him back to where you found him and put him under a bush his mom will be looking for him. If it was me I would take him back where I found him.

Years ago I had robins nesting in a back lean to shed. I heard the mother bird yapping outside the shed and watched as one by one the baby robins jumped out of the nest and hit the ground ,, stupid me not knowing what was going on I went and put them all back in the nest ,, poor things had to plummet to the ground all over again!!! But now I know to leave them alone they know what they are doing LOL
    The mother/Father birds do know where their babies are as they call to each other.
    No flight feathers on your little guy must have just jumped out of the nest.

AuntieEgger

PS do not feed a baby bird milk
  • stike
    i read your post fast the first time and thought you were feeding the robin ALPO. hahaha

as for max, i just like giving him grief.
    see you hopefully at the eggfest, thing gets over at 2:30. going to have to bug out early from the dock i think. might just get one lap around Tarentin Tank Fairgrounds to pick the last of the stuff off the tray.