Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Refrigerate BBQ Sauces?

Options
Pyro
Pyro Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every BBQ sauce I buy has the instruction, "refrigerate after opening". This is relatively new. In my ill-spent youth, I happened to meet several people who made and sold their BBQ sauces. I speak of commercial sales, with the facilities and the sauce fully approved - not someone selling homemade sauce. None of their sauces had this label and I include both Arthur Bryant's and Gate's sauces.

It was my understanding that most BBQ sauces had a PH well under 4.6 and consequently did not need refrigeration. I also note that now place that serves BBQ refrigerates their BBQ sauce, mustard or catsup. Since all of these taste better at room temp rather than refrigerated - why is every maker of BBQ sauce using that damnable phrase - "refrigerate after opening"?

Thanks for considering my random question:

Wayne Fogel

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Because some smart ass lawyer sued them on behalf of some person who got sick and claimed they didn't know it needed to be refrigerated..

Take a close look at a McDonald's coffee cup "Caution Contents are Hot" D'Oh!!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Aside from what CW said. I think the sugar based sauces give a much better flavor and stick to the meat better.

Mike
  • KentuckyEggMan
    Options
    Damn good question. I make my own sauces and have for awhile. The sauces I grew up with and are still sold today are from small operators but they have been in business for 77 years and passed down from generations. They are vinegar based and they don't need refrigeration. I make my own and never refrigerate them and they are better not refrigerated in my opinion. I am with the man who said a lawyer sued someone and that was that...Some sauces need refrigeration though as I have seen them go sour....Vinegar based does go bad too and I have seen it ferment....I use tumeric in mine and maybe that is the reason? I cook my sauces down quite a bit too.
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    It is all about legal nowadays and not about taste. The legal system has taken all of the common sense out of your actions. No matter how stupid of a thing you do, a smart lawyer will figure a reason to sue somebody with deep pockets so the label is all CYA.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    it does go bad if you leave it in the fridge long enough, ive seen green mold develope after a few years. you can leave it out, you can even leave most store bought mayo out now.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I know what you mean and what i find even more fascinating is the sell by date or use by date found on the container. I often wonder what happens when you use it the day after the expiration date.