Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Jeffersonian re: Thick Cut Pork Steaks

Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of the local Dierberg's and Schnuck's have been offering some wonderfully thick (1.5" - 1.75") pork steaks. I'm not sure if this is something available outside the STL area, but I wanted to see if you've tried them before.

Lately I've been doing them similar to ribs - indirect, 225 dome temp, rubbed with a Dizzy Dust mixutre. Use hickory and/or apple chunks. Let go lo and slow for 2.5 - 3 hours, then raise the temp a bit and put on the sauce.

What I like best about these thick pork steaks is that they tend to have a texuture and flavor like pulled pork. You get that same kind of gelatin from the break down of the collagen, and it's certainly a lot less time and effort.

Next time I do them I'll post some pics. I've been too lazy about that. But let me know if you've worked with these, how you've cooked them and how they turned out.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    I could be wrong, but the Pork steaks are cut from the Butt. Hence the pulled pork texture and flavor. These are really good when done lo-and-slow. Since my better half does not care for it too much, I have to squeeze them in when I can.