Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beercan chicken question

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my 1st beercan chicken yesterday. Tasted great but none of the liquid in the container boiled off. It was completely full. Is this normal? If so what is the purpose of the liquid? I cooked direct at 350 for 1hr & 15 mins.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I have often wondered this question myself. I put a thermocouple in the beer and found it never got above 170 degrees. That will create some steam, but then I wonder what good the steam does inside the chicken's cavity since it appears to be lined with a semi-waterproof membrane.
    The Naked Whiz
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    My guess is it's the position that does it and any sitter would do, mind you I've never actually done it on a beercan I use a Spanek type stand.
    Some folk seem to swear by putting beer or other flavours in a water smoker and I'm pretty sure that makes no difference apart from wasting beer.

Of course you need to leave less in the can......

TNW - thermocouple in the can, who else would have done it (interesting to know the result though).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yeah, doesn't seem to boil off.

two times I found myself picking a falling-apart chicken off the grill with a half-full can of beer stuck to it's butt that released as I got it airborn and spilled all over the coals.

That's when I changed to using a vertical roaster stand.
    Been great ever since!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    IMHO the beer can thing is a gimmick, I've tried it several times and have not found the meat to take on the flavors of the liquid or have it any moister than other cooking methods. -RP
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You in the UK? Where? I just escaped having to attend a wedding in Dorset, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Thanks all. That is what I expected. For the liquid to boil the chicken would have to reach approx. the same temp. Next time I will do away with the can and just use the holder for a vertical roaster. I did not pick up any flavor from the beer anyway.
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    Toss the setup and 'Spatchcock' the chicken. Naked Whiz site has info on how to do this. I used to be a 'beer-can chicken' cooker myself. IMHO, the steam from the internal liquid changed the texture of the meat. Did not realize this until I did my first spatchcock.

Quick rundown on how:
    Cut out the backbone
    Lay the bird flat
    Rub down with EVOO and spice of your choice (DP Raging River has been the favorite lately)
    Get Egg to 400
    Raised grid, direct for about 50 minutes to an hour

You will NEVER do another canned chicken again.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Been doin spatchcock for quite awhile. Actually did one on the egg last week. Just tried the beer can thing for something different.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Take Ray Lampe's advice.He says Bull to the beer can thing.Use the beer can rack without the beer can.Place the rack in a round cake pan and sit the chicken on the rack.Pour most of the beer into the pan with herbs,onions etc.Cook indirect at 350 till done.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Yes I'm in the UK. Shropshire - it's Wales / England border (in the middle of England).
    I grew up in Hampshire / Dorset though and still miss the sea, would like to move back.
    Shame about the wedding - you could have packed me a small BGE :laugh: