Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Old Egg is ready to go

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finished the "restoration" on the Old Egg - if you could even call it that. Aside from being in need of good cleaning burn and a new gasket, it is really in great shape. Here are a few pics for those interested.

I would still like to know how old it is. The rim on the base is stamped "MC MEXICO B 225" so unless someone has a secret decoder ring we probably won't know.

In its new home:
IMG_1286.jpg

New gasket installed:
IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Daisy wheel baked clean, wire brushed and painted with high-temp black paint:
IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

Here is a shot showing both Eggs:
IMG_1277.jpg

What have we here? A little bit of top round steak on the 2007 model:
IMG_1278.jpg

This is the cover I never use for my large, since it always stays dry pushed up against the house, under the eaves. The new Old Egg won't be getting pushed anywhere so I might as well use it here.
IMG_1289.jpg

It feels good to be a two-Egg home!

Enjoy,

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I'm gonna guess 1995 or 1996.

I'll ask about the magic decoder ring tomorrow.

Looks great!!
  • I have never seen handles like that on an Egg ! That's awesome. I'd think that John would be able to look up the code and give a date on that maybe?! I am officially curious as well ! That is pretty awesome....only thing better than an Egg.....TWO EGGS ! Thanks for the post ! :cheer:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    If it says Mexico it must be worth a fortune........... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: part of the ceramics is manufactured here in Monterrey............ :woohoo:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'll have to check, but that looks better than my relatively younger Egg. Nice restoration, Jack.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    man that is great!!!!! me likey ;)

looks like it has had some use and abuse but now has found a true "HOME"

BTW the recepie you posted awhile back i have been using..

2008-5-11004.jpg

i proabably could get it thinner now that i know what the heck i am doing

2008-5-11005.jpg

2008-5-11006.jpg

2008-5-11011.jpg

i have used it a couple times... i used it at the csra eggfest in evans georgia.. here are a couple photos of me cooking... fidel is there also... he said he liked your tenderloin better than the one i made up :pinch:

here is one of me and Buck I Nuts and Fidel..
    TRI_0111.jpg

one of me actually running a egg not many have seen me work

TRI_0114.jpg

one of smokey doing his thing

TRI_0124.jpg

and one of me slicing the tenderloin
    TRI_0126.jpg

thanks fiero guy for sending me tha picks

here is the recepie vienna jack originally posted

Pork, Tenderloin, Stuffed, Tomato Viennajack

Here is one i have seen and I will try here in the near future.

INGREDIENTS:
    Pork Tenderloin
    Red Wine Reduction Sauce
    Stuffed Pork Tenderloin Ingredients
    1 1 1/2 Lbs whole pork tenderloin
    6 oz fresh baby spinach (1 bag)
    6 oz fontina cheese
    5 oz sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
    Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
    2 Tbs olive oil

Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
    1 Steal This Recipe® step-by-step instructions:
    2 Sautee spinach in a covered saucepan with 2 tbsp water until it is wilted.
    3 Drain and cool.
    4 Butterfly the pork tenderloin: slice the length of the tenderloin, so that it unrolls with an even 1/2-1/4” thickness – like unrolling a Ho-Ho or a Yodel pastry.
    5 Pound the tenderloin even thinner between two sheets of cellophane wrap. If you don’t have a pounder, use the flat bottom of a small, heavy cooking pan.
    6 Remove cellophane and spread the spinach, fontina, and tomatoes along the whole length of the piece of meat.
    7 Roll the tenderloin up, and hold it together with kitchen string (in a pinch, use toothpicks).
    8 Rub the entire outside of the roast with salt and pepper. Wrap it in cellophane if you will be cooking it later. [You can prepare the roast up to 1 day ahead, as far as this step]
    9 Preheat egg to 400ºF. If roast was prepared in advance, take it out of the refrigerator while egg is heating.
    10 Place in egg and roast for 10-15 minutes on a raised grid-- until meat reaches an internal temperature of 150ºF.
    11 Remove meat from pan and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 5-15 minutes. Slice the roast diagonally, and pour the Red Wine Reduction Sauce over the pieces.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Posted 12-23-07 by VienniaJack

Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Spinach, Fontina Cheese, and Sun Dried Tomatoes is served at Siena Italian Grill and Bar for $23.95.

Source supermarketguru.com

thanks jack you made me look like a hero ;)B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    BENTE wrote:
    thanks jack you made me look like a hero ;)

That is a great recipe. (It's not mine, I just Googled something like "Pork Tenderloin Sun Dried Tomatoes" and it popped up, so I can't take too much credit.) I'm glad you like it - it is a favorite around here.

You'll want to really pound the tenderloin out very thin once you have sliced it into a flat piece like unwrapping a Ho Ho. Then, spread the stuffing out evenly and roll it up. You'll get a great spiral when you slice it. Some parts will be see-through thin when you pound it out but that won't hurt anything.

PICT0249.jpg

PICT0255-1.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it!
  • BENTE
    jack that is how my next one may look i used sun-dried-tomato-paste instead of the sunddried tomatoes (less $$$)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Speaking of manufacturing in Motnerrey, you aren't connected with the steel tube industry are you?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beli
    Right after my masters I started working precisely in the Steel Industry specifically in seamed pipe manufacturing. Still have good connections there. Can I be of any help to you??
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Beli,

Who are you with? I know most of the folks in the industry in Monterrey. The guy that will bring your package from Queretaro is Sr. Roberto Bortoni.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beli
    I was with Hylsa......think aquired by Techint.....what do you mean my package you are not serious are you???????? Gosh you are one...of a kind....Thanks...give my this guy's phone so I can send something down from here OK?
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I've got one I bought in 1997 witht those scissor hinges. It was starting to get surface rust on it at the dealership so no telling how long it sat there though.
  • ProPhotoGA
    ProPhotoGA Posts: 24
    Bente,

Smelling the food you guys cooked(and I tasted some
    too)compelled me to purchase my BGE. I am now the proud
    owner of a LBGE, should finish the table by Friday and
    have the Egg cooking this weekend. Pete's gave me a
    great deal. Can't say enough good things about their
    store.

Gene
  • BENTE
    they held a great event... you will never regrett purchasing your egg.. you will however kick yourself for not buying one sooner ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• That looks like my old egg, so I'd be curious of the age also. I bought mine used and had never even heard of a BGE until I found it on Craigslist, so I didn't realize it was different. I prefer that style of daisy for low and slow because it is simpler. I was also fortunate enough to find my second large BGE on Craigslist a couple of years later. It has the locking hinge and the new daisy. Someday I'd like to put a new hinge on the old one and stainless draft doors on both.

I feel fortunate to have two large BGE's and got them both for the price of a single new one.

I haven't posted much, but I've followed the forum off and on for years. I've learned a ton from all of you. Maybe I'll meet some of you at the Evergreen Eggfest.