Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too-dry first brisket - help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:blink: If anyone can help - we are the proud owners of a new L BGE and have been having fun with steak and chicken, Yesterday we tried brisket and although we thought we followed the directions (dry rub overnight, plate-setter under, 225-250 until temp reached 188, foil in a warm cooler for 1 hr), it was tasty but definitely drier than it should had been....it was a flat-cut, 5.5lb brisket and took 10.5 hrs to reach 188.

Any suggestions for next time? My dealer said to wrap it in Saran wrap and foil for the last 2 hours (not sure what the last 2 hrs would be)
Help! Thanks, Debbie

Comments

• FoolControl
    Options
    I did a 17.25lb brisket in the same amount of time yesterday. I cooked it until it was 191F in the center. I was cooking between 225 and 250 most of the time. I didn't wrap it in foil or plastic wrap. When it was finished, I let it stand at room temperature until cool. It is very tender and moist.

I don't dry rub the night before because the salt pulls moisture of of the meat. Just the opposite of brining.

Since you were cooking a flat. There is not enough fat to keep it moist. After the first two or three hours, if it starts looking dry. Spray with apple juice or use a brisket mop occasionally.

Check and make sure your probe thermometer is accurate. I usually make sure mine has the same reading as the digital thermostat in my house when I first turn it on.