Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melted gasket

Options
venona7
venona7 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a stupid thing..let the Egg get to 1000 degrees and melted the gasket and lid shut. What is the best way to open the Egg? I guess the gasket is toast (ha ha).

Comments

• MSM
    MSM Posts: 6
    Options
    I just had my gasket melt also.

I read a post on this board that suggested feeding some fire starter cubes into the bottom vent and raising the temperature as much as possible. This worked for me. I did have to feed some newspaper through the bottom as well. It got up to about 300 and I used a butter knife to slide between the top and bottom and pry the lid open. The gasket is toast, but it doesn't seem to effect the function much at all.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I always thought the reheating the egg was for releasing 'frozen' gaskets due to cold. I have now heard several times that the burn't gaskets are getting released by getting the egg warm/hot inside again.

I hated it when the forum folks told me to just use the egg if the egg will hold low temps. After 3 burnt gaskets, I finally realized they know what the speak of...

I am will do a Nomex replacement here in a few days/weeks/months or so - before it gets cold again for sure.

Hope you two get this sorted out.

GG
  • venona7
    venona7 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I will try reheating tomorrow to see if it will free the lid up!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If it doesn't, jump back on and ask again.

Something I did at one point in time was to use a very thin steak knive and I cut the gasket out. I was thinking of getting one of those 'razor' utility blades, the long straight ones, and get a pair of vice grip's and use that to 'saw' through the gasket material.

If you do something like that make sure you don't cut, knick the ceramic surface of the egg (top or bottom).

GG
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Putting a couple or more starter cubes in the bottom of the egg will build up enough heat to release the dome from the base in most instances whether it is a melted gasket or if it's frozen. You can also put a couple of cubes down from the top.
    I did it today.
    Hammer
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hay, you are not supposed to have frozen gaskets!!!

Nice to hear from you Mitch, hope all is well with you and the family.

Thanks for the information, I didn't realize re-heating would loosen a stuck gasket from the heat side of things.

Kent