Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catfish Recipe

Options
Wilby
Wilby Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are cooking up a batch of catfish today and I was wondering if any of you egger's out there have any good recipes. Everyone is waiting to see what we do with the magic of the egg. I want to blow them away again.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one. I like to take filets, plank them, lemon slices dill mayo and parmesan mixture and cook 15 minutes or so direct 350.

Catfish. Blackened, Pork Jesters

Use chef paul's rub, here is the recipe in case you bought the bottle. Make the rub up fresh it will make a lot of difference.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Tbs paprika
    2 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp cayenne
    3/4 tsp white pepper
    3/4 Tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves

Preparation:
    1 Heat a cast iron skillet to very hot. It does not have to be smoking hot but it can be if you want it to be. When you think it is hot enough drop a T of butter in and see how long it takes to sizzle off. You will know if it is hot enough by the size bubbles produced immediately when it hits the skillet. Dip each filet in clarified butter and coat liberally with the rub. Place in a hot skillet with the skin side down and drizzle butter over the bone side and let it cook for about 1.5 minutes then flip the bone side down for one minute. Going longer than one minute will make the bone side mushy. Flip back over with the skin side down. You will know the fish is done when the ridge running down the middle of the filet starts forming and seperating. This should not take over one more minute. This can also be done in a skillet on the stove top without smoking up the house. It is just a matter of temp and time and using less butter.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Pork Jesters

Source: BGE Forum, Pork Jesters, 2006/04/20
  • Crüe-B-Cüe
    Options
    I do it the same as above, but sometime I just grill it. Here's the seasoning I use....

2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons sea salt
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I do this in a cast irom on the egg.
    Felch's Oriental Catfish
    In Memory of Bob Felch

Dust two good sized fillets in cornstarch and fry in lite vegetable oil (some sesame seed oil is a nice addition). When cooked, pour over the top a mixture of:

2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
    2 Tbsp. Vinegar (Malt, preferred)
    1 rounded tsp. sugar
    about 6 Tbsp. of warm water

Bring to a boil, scraping the pan to catch all bits. Put all onto a warm platter. Nice to sprinkle with a couple chopped green onions. So don't use too much oil, or overcook the fish. Good served with rice and a green veggie.

The sauce is superb!