Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Spatched Chicken Last Night

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw rays post about his spatched chicken last night so I thought I'd add my two pennies about the one I did. My technique is pretty much the same but mine had flavor throughout the meat. I didn't do anything fancy at all, just rubbed it liberally with Montreal Chicken Seasoning, both sides. I did this about 30 minutes before putting it on the egg. I only put it on the outside, not under the skin, but I did take a knife and puncture the skin in about 20 or so places. I started the egg and let it get to about 200 and threw on the bird, I used a raised grid to add a little bit more distance between the fire and the bird. I let the temp climb slowly to about 375 (20 minutes) and cooked it a total of about 75 minutes. I do turn my birds during the cook, usually flipping it over 4-5 times. The last couple of times I add some barbeque sauce to the bird as well. I think that flavors the bird more than anything but a combination of the Montreal and the sauce is the best flavor in my opinion. Also, flipping the bird gives me a feel for how well done it is. If it "feels" right, its done. Bird came out tender and juicy and I made sammiches with the leftovers for this weekends river trip. Cant wait for either of those, the trip or the sammiches.[p]Troy[p]Troy

Comments