Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking at the Fairfax 2008 Command Vehicle Rally

Options
ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Friday, May 30 I had the opportunity to help my friend Mark cook at the 2008 Fairfax County Command, Control and Communications Vehicle Rally held in Chantilly, Virginia.

Approximately 80 public safety command and communications vehicles of all shapes and sizes, from all over Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia were present, along with their crews and numerous other attendees and VIPs.

I started helping Mark at last years rally, bringing about 30 pounds of eye round roast and cooking it in the trailer mounted cooker that Mark brought. This year I brought two cooked picnic shoulders and about 50 pounds of round tip roast for pit beef. The plan was to cook the picnics ahead of time at home on the Big Green Egg so they would be ready for early birds to eat while Mark’s pork loins and my pit beef finished.

The pork shoulders were seasoned with homemade rub made using Dr. BBQ’s Big Time BBQ Rub recipe. I shredded the picnics as soon as I arrived, seasoning the meat with some more rub. The meat filled 3 1/2 steam table pans. It was gone in 30 minutes. Shortly afterwards we started serving sliced pork loin for pork sandwiches, and before too long the first pit beef was ready to slice.

The pit beef was seasoned about 24 hours in advance with homemade rub made using Dr. BBQ’s “Eastern Rub” recipe from his BBQ Road Trip book. Man, I LOVE that Eastern Rub!

Mark brought 1000 plates, and they were gone after about 2 1/2 hours. Folks made do with paper towels for the remaining 2 1/2 hours. We got a ton of complements on the food. The pit beef was amazing!

Here are a few pics - enjoy!

The pork shoulders getting started in the morning the day before. They cooked from about 11:00AM on Thursday until 6:00 AM Friday. The Stoker was used to manage the cook while I worked and slept.

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

Here’s 50 pounds of beef seasoned up and ready to spend the nest 24 hours in the ice chest:

IMG_1098.jpg

Here are the pork shoulders, ready for shredding:

IMG_1101.jpg

A pan of Mark’s sliced pork loin:

IMG_1103.jpg

Our cooking setup. The taller table in the foreground was my beef slicing table.

IMG_1105.jpg

50 pounds of pit beef on the cooker:

IMG_1107.jpg

The serving line, before it got busy.

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Carving the pit beef:

IMG_1115.jpg

Comments