Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

FIRST FILET

smokesmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2" INCH BEEF FILET. LOOKING FOR A GOOD IDEA AS FAR AS TIME AND TEMPERATURE FOR MEDIUM RARE, MAYBE EVEN SOME MARINADE IDEAS

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    first thing is first.. you will get some flack around here if you use all caps... just fyi.. i don't care as you can tell by how i spell my handle...

now on to the steak... this ought to help you:::

Beef, Tenderloin, Filet, Crusted, Cilantro, Garlic, Cumin, Uncle Sid

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup olive oil
    3 Tbs cumin
    3 Tbs fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup fresh cilantro
    8 Clove garlic
    1 dash fresh ground pepper

Procedure:
    1 Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend. rub on both sides of meat I cooked 4 filets yesterday with this amount. let sit in fridge either over night.
    2 Fire up egg to 500-550. pour kosher salt liberally over top side of filet. (I just do one side.) cook 4 ½ to 5 minutes on each side for rare/medium rare. (I used pretty thick 8 oz filets) This is a bold but flavorful and enjoyable Flay recipe. It's a crowd pleaser. Enjoy!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Uncle Sid Email: sidmasi@hotmail.com

Source: BGE Forum, Uncle Sid

Let your meat get a good seer and don't mess with it too much. Presentation is key. Bobby Flay

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• smokesmoke Posts: 30
    thanks for the advice about all caps. I'm going to try the recipe tonight and i will give you the results tomorrow. so 4-5 minutes on each side at around 550?
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    it has been about 8 months since i cooked a filet so i may not be much help.. that is what the rece[pie calls for but i have not tried it yet sorry :(

but it sounds good.. if i were you i would invest in a thermapen it will help you determine doneness or underdoness better than your watch.. i am not being a smart-allek just it depends on when you take it out of the fridge, how thick they are, and several other varibles.. wish i was more help to you :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb