Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cover my egg?

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should I worry about my egg out in the rain? I dont have a cover yet and I checked on it after a rain and i could swear i can get my finger a little moist by rubbing the under side of the lid. Maybe just paranoid. It also could be a little humidity. Its very humid here. I also have left over lump still in it from last week. I wonder If it will give any problems re lighting. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    It useally is not high humidity here but we have had a lot of spring snow and rain. All winter long there has been snow then cooking and more snow on the egg.

My egg has been uncovered for up to a year now and there has been no problems other than a little fading of the paint.

GG
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    both of my eggs are uncovered the only problem you may experience is some water in your dome thermometer..you can fix that with a little aluminum foil..

sorry no thoughts on the humidity. if you do not use your egg you will get mold though ;)

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Not unusual for a little moisture to accumulate on the inside. It's a good idea to store your new lump in as dry a place as you can manage. Your used lump will be harder to start in high humidity conditions. Just give it more time when lighting and start it in 3 or 4 places. A little forced air will help such as an Air Grill or hair dryer.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Just got a quote for a cover and it seems that they sell a ventilated cover and a non ventilated cover. O can get the non for 42.00. The ventilated cover for 79. Worth the diff? I would hope not.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If one was to leave a BGE outdoors for the summer in FL (in a covered lanai) is there any way to prevent mold from growing inside? I know that moisture-absorbing crystals are available but I doubt they'd last very long. Anyone out there figured out how to deal with this?
  • Rascal
    Options
    Perhaps leaving the dome propped, or fully open would work?
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Have the ventilated cover for my large and the table. Works like a charm. Worth the investment in my book.

I threw away one of the older non-vented ones because it seemed to collect moisture way too much.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    cook on the darned thing!
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have a couple of stainless steel chimney caps from a fireplace store. I think they are 8" They fit snugly over the cap. That is for rain, for humidity you have answers.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rascal
    Options
    It's OK. Eventually you'll get it....
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    I bought a Weber kettle cover from Lowes for $8. It fits the large perfect. The egg table I built puts the egg in the middle, so I will probably get a regular gas grill cover for the entire unit to keep the cedar looking nice.
  • HokieBGE
    HokieBGE Posts: 21
    Options
    Here in Richmond, it is very humid most of the year and I have yet to see any mold on or in my Egg. I cook on it once a week, sometimes every other week. Regular use will not give the mold time to get going. My philosophy is if I'm spending $1,000 on a grill, it sure is going to get used!
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Hmmm. Would running a little electric hot plate inside be out of the question? I don't think it would need to be very hot, just out of mold's normal propagation range of 60 - 80 degrees. I don't think a small fan (like a PC cooling fan) would do it, but it might help. Mark
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    low-watt bulb is what some have recommended. i'm thinking though if the idea is "well, i won't be using it all summer", that it wouldn't be very cost-effective to burn a light all summer either.

i'd maybe open the bottom vent and put one of those chimney toppers over the top vent. some airflow, nice place for the spiders, too
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    DSC01251.jpg

Rolling Egg, I don't know where you are but I'm here on the Gulf Coast near Galveston Bay with very high humidity. I don't cover my egg directly, but it is under my covered patio when not in use and I have never had a moisture problem. If you do get a cover, I'd suggest a vented one to allow the air to flow through it.

My used lump stays in the egg till next time or if I'm doing a low and slow, I will remove the lump and save it for another time and use new.

I'm doing a brisket in the early am and have removed the old lump but I will save it for an ordinary day.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Rascal, you might give the idea of the vents open a try. If it is under cover in your lanai, that would probably be enough with the vents open and occassional use. If you're cooking once a week or two, that will probably work for you. Let us know.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    We're in Florida and have 5 eggs - 2 larges, 1 medium, and 2 smalls. We've never covered any of them.

Best way to keep mold from growing...cook in them! We rotate our cooks, to make sure they all get cooked on. Some weekends we have several of them going, depending on what we're doing - main dish, sides, dessert, bread, breakfast, lunch, dinner, you get the idea.

Rain won't hurt it a bit.