Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Bone Question

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 1.3lb. T Bone for tonight. I just looked and my wife has just coated it with a rub that has alot of dried green spices. I am thinking it can't be Trexed now. So what do you think? I am thinking 350 or 400 maybe indirect?

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    only thing i put on a nuked steak is salt. only thing that doesn't burn...

if i Trex, i will usually add spices AFTER the massive sear, and they are fine for the second half of the cook.

don't go indirect, whatever you do. that's roasting.

might want to go direct at 250/300 and when you are at 120 or so internal, crank it up to 500 and finish wioth the sear. it's reverse Trex in a way. bonus is that the initial slow roast will raise the meat temp gently, and you will have less raw meat near the bone. unless you don't mind that.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    just a thought but why not hot tub it to about 80° then go direct on the cast iron at about 400 get some grid marks an a bit of char but not enough to charcoal the wifes spices.???
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Sounds to me that the rub is somewhat what you would use for steak tuscany. Irecently seared one with a rub of oreganeo, sage and thyme mixed with salt, pepper and EVO to hold it and it came out great.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Look Tom.....just go ahead & TRex it.....afterwards....add the spices & give her the credit.. :laugh: :laugh: Good Luck....love women!!!