Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pinic/Shoulder

Options
dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yipeeee
3rd time lucky, Smoked a 9lb Pinic/Shoulder Friday/Saturday it took 21 hours and the temp stayed at 230* for the whole cook.
After last weeks try with the same cut (I followed some advice and used a bungee card to see if pork could fly) I made some ajustments, the main one being that i started the fire from the top down. Awesome is all i can say.
So on sunday i went out to costco's and bought me a 5lb brisket. This is my final test to be a certified egger.....[p]The brisket is 5lb, flat and marble with fat (not a lot of fat) but i think enough.
Can i get some help on this one...
How should i prepare it?
How long should i expect it to take?
What temp should i cook it at?[p]I hope to eat it sunday.[p]As always, Thanks[p]Dublin

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    dublin,
    Can't be much help on the brisket, I botched my first attempt. Not sure if I'm a fan of the huge beefy flavor, but I will have to keep trying until I get a good moist piece to jundge from.
    Anywho, if you are questionable on the amount of fatcap, you may want to lay some bacon on top.
    The last thing you want it a reason for it to dry out.
    Good luck

Apollo Beach, FL
  • dublin
    Options
    Wardster,
    Bacon on top.
    Never thought of that
    Thx

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    dublin,
    If you have time, you could ask your meat guy to slice you off some beef fat to lay on top. This works pretty well, and can be removed the last few hours to help crust things up a bit. Another nice thing about that is the seasonings and crust will be on the meat instead of on the fat that gets trimmed off when serving. Bacon works (but definitely adds a different flavor), and I have cooked a butt over a brisket before with good results.[p]I have been having great success with cooking at 250 dome...which usually equates to 225 or so at the cooking level with my setup. That little guy will probably take in the range of 10 hours.[p]Many ways to prep, from salt/pepper/sugar to a rub to marinade....or even an overnight soak in root beer (per Qfan). The beef is what always comes shining through in the end. I like to use a fair amount of sugar, as I like what it adds to the bark.[p]When you get in the 180-190 internal range, and it passes the poke test, it helps to wrap tight in foil, and rest for 30 minutes or more. You could even add some beef broth (though I have not tried this), and it will soak into the meat and increase your chances of a good moist chunk-o-chest.[p]Just some idears. It doesn't get much better than a good brisket.[p]Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • regularguy
    regularguy Posts: 17
    Options
    48690219403_0_SM.jpg
    <p />dublin,
    i just bought and cooked a brisket from costco it was great moist and tender. i tried to cook it as low as i could around 210 for 14 hours i put a little jj's rub and plenty of mustard . there briskets are already trimed of fat all you got to do is cook it

[ul][li]http://images.ofoto.com/photos237/4/19/2/69/48/0/48690219403_0_SM.jpg[/ul]
  • dublin
    Options
    regularguy,
    Thanks, I can't wait to try it.
    BTW I can't see your photo's
    dublin