Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Ceramic!

Options
Bevo
Bevo Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to do some pizzas, so I went out to the deck and removed the cover from my XL. Although the ambient temperature is 99*, my dome thermometer said 145*. I picked up the rain cap and just about burned the skin off my fingers. I fumbled it and caught it just in time to save another trip to get some JB Weld. It's going to be a long hot summer in Texas.

Happy June to everyone.

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Bo doubt, it's HOT! Was on Lake Travis yesterday for 3 hours, well lubed up with UV protection due - and got burned anyway! The good news is that the water felt GREAT!!

Might have to change my handle to Austin's Smokin'!
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    I just walked past my weather station receiver and it's now 101.8*. By the time I put the pizzas on, I'm guessing 104.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I'm in hibernation until Winter.

Spring "Melting Point" Chicken
    Spring Texes USA
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    It's pretty hot here in Memphis. I just came back from a two day trip up near Toledo. Man the weather was nice. When we got up at 06:00hrs it was about 49 deg's. Needless to say, by the time we got back to Memphis, we had taken our jackets off.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Colin,

You're not kidding--I was out a good part of yesterday pruning the hedges/edging/mowing the lawn, and the sun absolutely took everything out of me. i had just enough left in me to do some quick burgers for the kids. I tried using the cheapie (non-BGE) pizza stone as an indirect barrier for some sausages and ended up heating it up too much. It was sitting on the spider in three pieces, and I tried my new leather gloves on to pick out the broken pieces and got burned the you-know-what out of my hands. Some seriously hot ceramic! Gotta go get a BGE-branded pizza stone now. Perhaps next weekend.

Did some serious grocery shopping today, and it was hot (again) but I managed to get the LBGE cleaned out and going for the ribs, which are just about three hours in at the moment.

Glad to hear that everything is still in one piece there...