Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get to sleep...so my first post

Options
Wayne at the Beach
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't own an Egg yet. Yes, I am ashamed. I'm thinking about dry rubs. Anything special about a rub I use for beef back ribs rather than pork? Or is a rub a rub?

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    A rub is a rub is a rub... unless it rubs you the wrong way.

:laugh: :) :laugh:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    NO reason to be ashamed Wayne..in fact, imho..best thing to do before buying an egg is spend some time on this forum reading posts and looking at pix...egg is an investment, and once you buy the egg and continue getting accessories, additional eggs, all the spices, rubs, fresh meat, lump, everything else..it becomes QUITE an investment over time..as with any investment..you should study them awhile first..as for rubs..there's as many rubs, spices, sauces, herbs as there are opinions about what is best...you can buy them premade, make them from scratch recipes, or makeup your own recipe with storebought spices or stuff you grow yourself...Dizzy Pig makes very high quality tasty rubs, John Henry's are really good and has a wide selection. Lately I've been using some Bad Byron's stuff which is good...tons of them out there ;)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    For beef, I would recommend the same thing you use on a steak. There is one that I picked up here in the Austin area which was developed by one of the featured BBQ places in the area - The Salt Lick. I used their product on a brisket a few weeks ago, and it is amazing. Of course the Dizzy Pig stuff is great, too, and I like the Cowlick rub and the Raising the Steaks seasonings on beef.

I would highly recommend the Large BGE to start your collection ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    HA you think you can't sleep now??? :evil: Wait till you get the egg! After your first cook...... the brain is racing so you can not work enough hours to earn enough money to buy all the steaks and eggcesories in the pursuit of egging! :side: ;) :laugh: You will look the other way when you pass the scales...... 'cause you know that 4 steaks and ribs and pulled pork and all that BBQ sauce this last week is not to good!!! you look at every dead tree to see what kind of wood it is and would it work to add extra smoke and what would it taste like?? You get a new fetish for old cast iron and cut the handle off every pan you have so it will fit in the eggs, you start trying to figure out how to get MORE eggs :silly: Then you need to build an out side kitchen... it starts simple OH YES BUT then you go to the NW site and see all the fancy tables and rooms. with egg pictures cast right in the concrete :woohoo: There must be a three step program to get my life back!!!!
  • Wayne at the Beach
    Options
    Don't worry, I'm looking forward to being obsessed with my BGE. I'm already obsessed and don't even own one yet. I'm definitely planning on the Large BGE. I'm single and live alone, so that might seem excessive to some (other than those on this site), but I want to have plenty of cooking space when I invite people over.

Have a great weekend, everyone, and thanks for the help.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to get an egg. I just got mine a few months back and wish I hadnt waited.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Large is good. Once you start to do killer steaks,pulled pork,awesome chicken, I guarantee you won't be alone once the word is out.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Don't totally dismiss purchasing a medium. I have a medium and love it. Over a hundred times I am glad to have bought a medium compared to a couple of times I wish I had a large. I can easily cook for six on a medium and have done 15 pounds of butt numerous times. Less charcoal, lower price, same great taste. Ain thing is is get one and begin enjoying!