Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter with XLarge Egg

Super Chicken
Super Chicken Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking on a Xlarge egg for almost a year. Currently when I use the plate setter i am placing it between the two fire rings so that there is enough room for a drip pan between the plate setter and the cooking grate. Is this the best way or is there a better way.

Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Either that or get a real skinny drip pan.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    That is the way it was designed. I have used mine legs up on top of the firering but it leaves little room for a drip pan. Lately I have been using the hanger by TJV with a pizza stone for indirect.
  • Little Steven
    Mike,

You can use disposable pizza pans too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Trouble is, I can't find a disposable pizza pan over 12" in diameter...I'd like to get some that are 14-16" for better coverage.
  • Little Steven
    Jeffersonian,

I got some copper pans at an Italian food i mporter up here that are 18" in diameter or more. They are supposed to be just decorative but they work fine. If you are interested, I have some stuff going to my friend in St. Louis. next week. Let me know

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Thanks, Steven.

I know I can get 14 and 16" pans from TJV, but I've been using a non-disposable drip pan (rectangular) for a while now and no matter how I try to keep it clean, it winds up nasty in the long run. I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy TJV's round pans eventually and just cover them with foil to keep them reasonably presentable, but I'd love to use disposables and just toss them.
  • Little Steven
    I'll pickk a couple up for you and send them to my freind in Dogtown. I'll pm you when he has them. Copper cleans easy

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    I started out with out a placesetter because it is so short on the XL.
    I ordered the hanger, two small rods, flip ring, extra grate and 18 inch pan and have really liked the results. I use a 19 or 16 inch stone on the hanger or I first used just the 18 inch pan.

I now use the stone and hanger and than support the 18 inch pan with the two bars you can get for the holding the pan or stone. I cover the 18 inch pan with a wide sheet of foil and than fold it up and throw it away at the end after the egg has cooled.

It seems to work well if I form a small lip on the foil to keep the grease out of the pan. If the pan does get some some grease on it I burn it off after taking the foil out. When I am cooking low and slow the grease does not burn and turn black.

I think if you look on the site for eggaccessories and look at option 2 a you will see a pretty good set up.
    I personally think because of the xl design the kit from egg accessoires makes the xl a much easier egg to cook with.
    I normally have the grate at gasket level or I have two grates in and use the flip ring to hold the second grate.

When cooking pizza I have found that the pizza seems to cook the best with the stone at gasket level or higher in the dome.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    set up 2a was kinda an after thought idea and wouldn't ya know, it's my favorite XL set-up for a single grid indirect cook. It spreads things out and provides access to the lump for adding wood chunks during the cook.

I've settled on the 16 pizza stone as my favorite. I have a 20x1 inch pan, but have not used it in a cook yet. It's big.

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Jeffersonian
    Thanks, Steven. Just let me know and I'll send the money back with your amigo.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    We sell a 17/18" round pan that is 3" deep for this XL indirect setup. The cooking grid sits nicely on top of the nice wide pan. Takes the shallow platesetter problem out of the picture so to speak.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA