Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT killer recpie fried tomatoes

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tis the time of the year that the most cherished fruit the tomato is about to be at the produce stands or in your back yard.I have made fried tomatoes that are not quite like most people make them.Most of the recipes that I have come across and sampled were a mixture of bread crumbs or corn meal with whatever seasoning added and fried in oil.

As far as I am concerned that is a very greasy,wet and sloppy fried tomato.

This is my method and the folks in the Del Marva area where I have served them up just say dam that is good.So here we go.

2 eggs beaten
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 12 oz bottle beer
1 tsp poultry seasoning

mix it up till it has the texture of a waffle batter.

The tomatoes just have to be firm-not just green.I have used dead ripe ones as long as they are good and firm and they turn out great.

Slice the tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick and
Dip into the batter and drain off any excess batter
Don't be afraid to use your hands to spread it out even.
Fry in a cast iron skillet till it turns brown on one side then flip it over till the second side is done.

This is my secret trick for the next step.
This is a different way to drain after cooking so that all sides will stay crisp.

After they are fried stand them up vertically in a rib rack or a dish strainer this will allow air to circulate 360 degrees in stead of the typical way of laying them down on a paper towel which makes one side soggy and one side crisp.

My Father in law used to tell me to open up a stand in Ocean City Md. and close up my business.He was a BIG man and they called him Tiny and when I think back I should have listened to him.

Comments