Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corn on the cob

Options
greenwillie
greenwillie Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what do you guys like best
direct or indirect?

thanks

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Looks like I did these indirect,but I usually just throw them on with whatever i'm cookin at the time ;)

004-7.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    To me it doesn't matter, either way.

I do soak for 4 to 15 minutes cut the excess silk off just above the top of the ear and cut the stock close to the ear and let em cook.

Anyway, thats a good idea, think I will get some for tonight.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Doug,

Me too.

022.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    If the corn is truly "fresh" just throw it on the grill either direct or indirect depending on what else you are cookin..if it's store bought and you aren't sure..soak it in cold water for 30 to 60 minutes the silk will melt away either way...look for a charing on the outside and you will be fine...it comes out great..roughly 60 minutes around 350 degrees
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've started removing the husks completely and throwing them right on the grill, direct heat. They damn near taste like candy they're so good.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    like Wess said, I go 45-60 minutes at 350, no soaking or silk removal. -RP
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I do that too. They are like candy. Specially if you baste them with butter.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• greenwillie
    greenwillie Posts: 13
    Options
    45-60 minutes at 350...the same if direct or indirect?
    We'll have a seperate egg going for the corn so we can go either way-- in a perfect world which method do you all like best?

thanks
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You want to ask Wess about the temp. I just do it with whatever I'm cooking til it has some give when you push on it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    Like he said... whatever temp the cook is going at! But... I like to soak mine for 45 minutes or so in saltwater. I want to make sure the varmints are out of there, sand salt water does the trick. Not that I mind the xtra bits of protein, but sometimes the guests will not be so open minded! :woohoo:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    A slight variation --

Indirect -- 350F for an hour-ish

> Soak corn for at least 15 minutes

> Just before you add the corn to the Egg, lay "extra" leaves both directions on the grill, to make a bed of corn leaves.

> Leave the husks on the corn and put the very wet corn on the bed of leaves. You can stack the corn if you want

> cover the corn with several layers of burlap. The idea is to hold steam

> I find with the Egg that I need to rotate the corn every 20 minutes, top-to-bottom, outside-to-inside.

> Add some water right after rotating and recovering with burlap.

Steam them puppies! The bed of leaves will dry out, and grill marks will begin to appear on the corn husks [rotate!] -- but keep steam inside the Egg.

Remove the husk and silk, butter [real butter, s'il vous plait!], salt and freshly cracked pepper.

Oh, Yum!

~ Broc
    :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: