Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie In The House

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After much research and discussion with various people, I took the leap today and bought myself a large BGE. [p]I was pleased to see it came with the dual function top and the new spring hinge. The only problem with the hinge is that it won't open when sitting in the table, but a trip to my local brick supplier fixed that. I just elevated the BGE with an 18 sq.in. brick and she opens just fine now.[p]I'm looking forward to many awesome meals; I've been reading this forum for months, so I feel like I'm ready to jump right in. Tonight, we're goona start simple with some fat burgers, but ribs, steaks, and chicken are on the near horizon.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Galoot, that was a very good move. There have been some stories of burned wood where the eggs were sitting directly on the wood. Having a stone under it serves two purposes - allows you to open it (good) and keeps the table from possibly buring (good as well).

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Galoot, Welcome to the club! No mention about the little green feet on that stone you got for a riser - you're better off WITH them as well.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I used the three feet it came with; I simply used the brick as an elevated floor.[p]One thing I did notice was that, with the lid open, the Egg was very wobbly (high center of gravity I'm guessing). So I have two of the three feet closer to the back to stabilize it when open and the third directly under the lower damper.[p]Maybe I could sweet talk the dealer into scrounging up a fourth foot so that I could distribute the weight evenly.[p]BTW, the burgers were unbelievable! 500 degrees, 3 minutes a side. Perfect.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Galoot,
    Welcome to the BGE family. You are going to love this thing,it does so much. I,ve had mine a month and i,m still learning and always will cooking on this. I,ve smoked for years on other smokers and this is really different,so i,m learning alot off of this web site. Happy Cooking.
    Scott

• RRP
    Options
    Galoot, nope 3 are best 4 is bad -I learned that or shall I say had that fact drilled home 45 years ago. I have found that 120° apart (360° divided by 3) is best to support your BGE unless your deck or patio isn't level itself. A little time with a carpenter's level will pay you benefits in the long run as you'll eventually see that even drip pans with some connoction of water/apple juice/ spices etc work best when all is on the level!

• Unknown
    Options
    RRP,
    Since I'm sitting the Egg on a large square brick anyway, couldn't I just eliminate the feet altogether and let it stand that way? It would be more stable and the brick, which cost all of 3 bucks is easily replaceable.[p]Thanks!

• RRP
    Options
    Galoot,
    To each his own, but after replacing two stepping stones that both split in half I concluded that moisture was being trapped in the poreous stone and then when the heat builds up in the BGE it causes the breakage. When I bought stone #3 I inserted the feet and no problems since.