Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help with my Butt

Options
KickapooBBQ
KickapooBBQ Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first overnight pork butt is tomorrow. Any advice to avoid a mistake would be helpful. I have a digi Q and a 7.5 lbs butt, plus a load of lump. I'm excited to get started!

Comments

• Firestarter21
    Firestarter21 Posts: 309
    Options
    I was in your shoes a week ago tonight. It was a cake walk, nothing to it. I had your exact scenario, new digi Q2 and 2 6lb butts for my first cook. There was nothing to it. Hooked my pit thermometer to inside of egg thermometer and set dome temp at 245. Opened the egg for the first time when the meat hit 195(if you want to pull it). Several people suggested not opening the egg once during the cook. Let your temp stabilize for about 45 min to an hour. I did indirect with a aluminum pan to catch grease. I filled my Large egg half way up the fire ring and probably had 2/3 to 3/4 of my charcoal left over after at 12 hour cook. I wrapped my butts in aluminum foil and set in a cooler for another 2 hours, pulled them out and they fell apart. It took minimal effort with two forks.
    Good Luck.

Barrett
    Woodstock, Ga
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Hey,
    I see Celtic Wolf has posted you some tips so I would like to give you a link to a terrific rub that you can make at home :=) Oh yes I have all three of Dr. BBQ's Books and and they get used alot... I pre-ordered his NFL book on Amazon too!
    ~Pharmeggist

Click on link:
    http://www.drbbq.com/drbbqfavoriterecipe.php
  • raider60
    raider60 Posts: 62
    Options
    I want to cook a pork butt overnight too, but I all I have is the daisy wheel. Suggestions?