Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on the woo 2

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to order the woo2 originally all I wanted is to get the grate up. Adjustable rig and spider sound nice but other than a pan fry or indirect cook with the spider is there any difference for an indirect cook to the plate setter?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    The legs of the platesetter will each block heat leaving the fire below. The BGE pizza stone on the spider provides even heat flow. If you are experiencing more heat toward the back of the egg, then shift the stone back slightly.
    Works great for me.

Mike Tripp
    (fieroguy)
    (some day I will get registered)
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    With the adjustable rig/spider combo you can do indierect on multiple levels.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    dougemsmacks,

There are the obvious advantages as well as multiple level cooking.

However, the spider is a great accessory in and of itself. Dutch Oven cooking is much easier with the spider. Set the spider in normal configuration and put the DO on the spider for searing or browning. Then change the spider to upside down (raised) and put the DO back on for cooking.

The same with a skillet.

I use the spider inverted with a drip pan.

If I could do it all over again, I don't think I would get a plate setter. Just the adjustible rig/spider and a pizza stone.

My 2¢ worth.

GG
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you already have the platesetter and are only looking to raise the BGE grid for direct cooks, then the woo2 will meet your needs. If you plan on getting creative with your cooks, then you might consider expanding and upgrading.

Ironically, I use the spider more for searing hot and fast than I do for low and slow smokes.

If I can help, feel free to email me. Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options

Good morning,

Just remember, you can not use your plate setter with the WOO 2. You could still buy the spider for your WOO2 for indirect cooks. After all of that, the Adjustable rig sounds best.(Just a bit pricey) I love mine on my large BGE.
    You are just trying to get the grid higher.