Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising the grate level on BGE

Options
Smokin-AJ's
Smokin-AJ's Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question for you master eggers..

On my large BGE, i have the platesetter. If I remove the PS, the grate drops down onto the fire ring and I want to see what can I do keep that from happening. In other words, keep the grate level at the same height as it would be if it was resting on the PS but without the PS in the egg. I thought about this last night with my chicken and felt if I cooked without the PS, my chicken may have burned a little too much.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I am not an eggspert, but I do know of a device called the Woo2, and it's big brother the Adjustable grid. They do exactly what you are looking to do.
  • VictoryRay
    VictoryRay Posts: 18
    Options
    here is one way. its the way im going to go once i dont have to drive 700miles every week at 4.69 per/gal.

http://www.eggaccessories.com/adjustableRig.html

there are also a couple guys using lag bolts and washers/nuts and more or less bolting them to the grid. you can do a search to find some pics. that set-up would work well if you knew what the height was you wanted. i just want the rig for the adjustability.

hope this helps a little.

ray
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    all you need is an auxillary grate and two fire brick turned on edge. I do it all the time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    here's a new brick and a seasoned one for comparison. They measure 9" x 4.5" x 1.25".
    Big box stores that carry fireplace repair items sell these in a box of 6 for about 10 bucks.
    IMG_0289.jpg
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Smokin-AJ's Posts: 99
    Options
    I am trying to see how this looks inside the egg. Do you have any pics showing this.
  • RRP
    Options
    like this - pretty simple solution, huh?
    IMG_2356.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for years i used two bricks and the extra grill, still do at times. the adjustable rig mentioned below is the best setup in my opinion, but the two bricks do work. the adjustable rig is even higher than the two brick setup and gives you more options, if you go that route get the spider too as its needed with a pizza stone for your inderect setups.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    and get a 2" fire ring. It goes on top of the regular fire ring and raises the height up to the very top.

Ain't no big deal.
  • Egg Builder
    Options
    I agree with the bricks. I use three half bricks so it supports evenly. I did get a replacement grill and this fits wonderfully. For chicken, I have found that if you grill indirect it will always be moist and never burn.
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Good afternoon,

As others have stated, there are a lot of options. I just recently purchased an adjustable grid with spider. This is the step up from the WOO 2. It is the correct way to do what you are wanting. It was a little pricey, about $95.00 with shipping but it is Stainless steel and looks very good.
    Last weekend, I cooked an entire grid of chicken breast, another complete level of leg/thigh combs. Under them, I had a full tray of vegetables(new potatoes, lots of mushrooms, bell peppers and oninons.) I cooked them indirect, all at the same time. It was wonderful. The chicken was tender and moist, no burned areas, and the vegetables were tender and the chicken juice droppings added such flavor. Its up to you but this makes you look very professional at family cook outs. Good luck on your choice.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I like the Woo2 ring: Review: Cooking with the Woo2 Raised Grid

283107028_vhwka-S.jpg

Not as cheap as using fire bricks (also a good way to go) but you can easily move the grate around to even out the hot spots and you can always put a drip pan or pizza stone on the supports to switch to indirect.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Simple three 4 1/2 inch bolts,nuts and washers about $3.00.
    spatchcockchicken061-1.jpg
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are having fun with the egg. If by chance you don't know, I am the fella who offers the adjustable rig and woo2.

There are several good recommendations for you to consider on how to raise the grid. The best suggestion I can offer is take your time and compare each with how you want to cook, what foods you cook, how often you cook and what you can afford.

I think most of us here would agree that there is no one perfect set-up solution, but many solutions that are perfect for each of us, individually.

If I can help, feel free to email me. Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.