Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork?

Options
Bill Braski
Bill Braski Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I Plan on cooking 4 Boston Butts this weekend at around 5-7lbs each. I'm trying to plan the cooking times now, should I use 2hours per pound for the largest cut of meat? Any suggestions? Also looking for suggestions on a good rub.

Thanks

Comments

• Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    I would use the 2 hours per pound rule. It might be less and could be more. Once they are done wrap in af and a towel in put in a cooler. I did some on Sunday and they stay hot in the cooler for 4 hours. There are a lot of choices for a rub, I like to use Dizzy Dust.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Always allow 2 hours per pound, and keep the pieces from touching each other. The smallest piece is likely to be done first. You may get lucky, and have the butts finish quickly. I've had a few that cooked really fast, just a bit more than 1 hour per pound. With the meat at 200, double wrapped in foil, then in towels, then into a cooler with a gallon of hot water, they were a safe 150 degrees seven hours later.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You might to clarify that gallon of hot water should remain in the gallon jug and not the cooler; however, it really not necessary. I have put meat in a cooler at 7am and at noon the steam billowed out of the cooler when I opened it up.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Since you are doing it this week and even Chris's (Dizzy Pig) customer service is not that fast. You can use Emeril's Essense to rub up the butts.

The rule is 1-2 hours per pound. I'd shoot for 1.5 hours and go from there. Sometimes smaller cut cook fast, sometimes they don't. Find a happy medium and use that as your guide.

Pulled Pork
  • Drunk at the EGG
    Options
    I think what he is asking is if he had a 5# and a 7# does he allow two hours for the total pork weight of 12#'s, or just the largest cut of 7#'s?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Yep I knew that!! I answered it that way and the link I pointed him to states that as well.