Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a Butt

Options
Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to get some clarification from the pros. Do you typically cook a but 2 hours for every pound?
Any advice is appreciated, thinking about doing my first butt this weekend.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Enjoy. This is one of many sources for cooking a butt.

http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/methods/pulledpork.html

GG
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Just posted my first two butts...Try Again...First Butts was the thread. Mine were 7.5-8 lbs each. Took about 15 hours to get them to about 200 deg. Wrapped them for awhile before pulling and the meat was perfect.

I didn't have a remote thermometer so I used the trick of a standard one inserted so I could see it with a flashlight through the daisy wheel. Got the dome temp to 250 and went to bed. Woke up twice to check. Fluctuated between 240 and 275. I cranked mine to 300 towards the end. There are some who don't recommend this but I had to given our guests were arriving between 12-1 and I wanted to get it off by 11:30 am.

Chris
    Whitman, MA
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You should plan for 1.5 to 2 hours per pound, but you cook it until the internal temp is where you want it, typically 195 or 200 degrees. I think the recipe section here has the Elder Ward writeup, or you can find it on my website on the recipes page under pork. It contains a lot of information about the whole process. good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Chris,

Are you planning on coming to the Fest in New Hampshire in June? Hope you can make it even if its for the Saturday food.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't think there's anyone here who'd give you grief for going to 300 at the end. 300 is still a low fire....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante