Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Hamburgers

CaptainChili
CaptainChili Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used my medium for smoking mostly and am a relatively new user. Last night I grilled hamburgers using the techniques shown on the BGE video with Kevin. Reached the 500 temp ok. With that grid just on the top of the fire ring it was really hot and even with gloves turning the burgers was dicey. I did burp etc. Does anyone have good luck grilling hamburgers with the platesetter used to raise the cooking level. Throughout this cook I just felt that I had lost control. The burgers turned out just OK. I am beginning to think I should go back to my tried and true electric grill for hamburgers and reserve the BGE for smoking. Help

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    My guess is cook it at 350 and use less lump so you make some distance between grid and lump. Thats what I would do without have to raise the grid.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I'm also a 350-400 hamburger man.

A longer spatula is helpful too.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    take the platesetter out and right on the grid at 350-400...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    just some burger notes that i have collected from this site and others.

don't use the electric grill

burgers are great when cooked longer at lower temps. ..i like to do mine at around 300 degrees on a raised grid (if you don't have one no big deal). ...1/2 pound burgers can take around 30 minutes or so to be done this way, but great flavor and very juicy. . .

couple of keys to a great burger

1. use 80/20 ground beef (double ground brisket is great too, but you want the fat content for great flavor and moistness)

2. DO NOT PRESS DOWN ON THE BURGER while on the grill. .. all you are doing is pressing the juices out of the meat!

3. add whatever seasoning you like (i like some dizzy cow lick or raising the steaks), and i always add a couple of tablespoons of worceshtishire sauce but add whatever you like

4. only flip the burger once and DON"T PRESS DOWN ON IT. ..

lower temps make for a great burger :)

Try some low and slow Burgers. I cook burgers both ways, quick and hot or low and slow, depending on time and mood.

I love this low and slow recipe I got from Mad Max below.

MAD MAX’S “Big Honkin Naked Burgers!” (slow style)

• both dizzy cowlick and redeyeexpress are fantastic on burgers. ... i like to mix in a good dose of worchesteshire sauce or bbq sauce into the ground beef (always go at least 80/20 ground beef, never the leaner, dryer stuff). . ..make up some 1/2 pound patties, then hit them with a good coating of the rub. .. .i've found from others here on the forum that i like doing the burgers rather slowly. ..raised grid direct at around 300 degrees dome temp. ..takes a little longer, but dang the flavor is good. .. . i don't even put them on buns or with cheese anymore. ...call them 'big honkin naked burgers'. ..good stuff. ..
    they can take up to a good 15 minutes per side. ..more of roasted burger than a grilled one ...the juice will litterally flow out of it. . ..

Cooking options
    1. 500°-600° direct - cook for 2 minutes, flip and shut vents for 15 or 20 minutes.
    2. 300°-350° indirect - cook for 20 minutes, turn and cook until 150° which takes 10 to 15 minutes longer.
    3. 350°-400° raised direct - cook about 10 minutes, turn and cook until 150°. If another 10 minutes goes by,
    turn one more time.
    4. 250°-300° raised direct - cook about 45 minutes, no need to turn unless you really want to. Pull off at 150°
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    These will keep from burning the hands when removing the plate setter and flipping.

http://www.biteofthebest.com/orka-silicone-oven-mitt/

There are several sources around.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i use ove gloves ;)

will need a new pair in a year or so these have lasted me 5 yrs ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb