Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whiskey Shallot Bison Steak

Options
Sweathog
Sweathog Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight's entree: Bison ribeye with a bit of Raising the Steaks seared 90 seconds a side on the cast iron skillet at 575 or so. Rested the steak. Left cast iron on egg. Tossed in a little butter and about 1/4 cup Jack Daniels, scraping up the proverbial "brown bits." Added two sliced shallots and a few slices of red onion. Shook in about a Tbls Worchester sauce, gave a couple turns of salt and pepper with their respective grinders. Reduced, softened, carmelized, etc. Took skillet off egg. Placed the ribeye back on cast iron grid for a few minutes per side. Came out with this...

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

Very nice. MIght even be better with some softened gorgonzola on top.
Will make again.

Jim

Sweathog

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Great idea to de-glaze the pan and get all the yummies off the bottom.

Very nice looking steak.
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Looks great. I wish I could get bison steaks locally. Whole foods was carring them when they opened but no longer. Would it be worth ordering them from an online company?
  • Sweathog
    Sweathog Posts: 75
    Options
    Bamafan--

I got mine from Whole Food myself, so I couldn't speak for a online shipper. I have found WF's to be generally pretty good, with some better than others. Mrs. Sweathog likes them for me because bison is considered the leanest meat overall (supposedly more lean than chicken breast meat, although I could be incorrect), but she mostly eats salad and vegetables with a little white meat or seafood. Of course, since I get them at Whole Foods I generally have to donate plasma first to buy them, so maybe it's my wooziness that likes them. :laugh:

Jim

Sweathog

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to respond to specific message in the thread, so if anybody can hook a fellow up, I'd appreciate it. My responses seem to respond to me only.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Jim,

That looks great, and sounds like a great idea for my next steaks.

Thanks, man!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Jim,
    Gorgonzola is the way to go.
    Ross