Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Egg Questions

Options
TomCPA
TomCPA Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was putting my Mini-Egg together today and I had a couple of quick questions.

First: How far do I tighten the bands? On my other Eggs, I notice the bolts are tightened to the point that the ends of the bands meet. I don't want to over-tighten the bands obviously. What is everyone else's experience with these bands?

Second: The Mini wobbles a bit in the chiminea stand. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Just tighten them until you can't turn anymore with a regular wrench (no pipe handle extensions, etc.) You really can't over tighten by hand.

Jon
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I just assembled a mini last week, and one thing I found was that the rivet on the lower band was about 1/8" longer than the dimple was deep. It left a gap between the band and the Egg and I felt it was putting a lot of pressure on the end of the rivet against the ceramic. I ground off the inside of the rivet so that it wouldn't bottom out in the dimple. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    My mini wobbles in the stand too...it's just one of those things I've learned to deal with.

I will probably find or build a stand for it in the near future - i really don't care for the stand. I'll get a chiminea to go in it!
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Good call on grinding the protruding rivet. No doubt that would have caused the egg to crack with too much pressure.