Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt cook

Options
MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night at 9:30 PM I began my first pork butt cook. I had two pork butts from Sam's Club, totaling around 15lbs. Seasoned with some dry rub and brown sugar along with some hickory chunks and apple chips.

I let them smoke all night and the first one (probably a pound smaller) came off around 1:00PM the next day. In all, 14 hours and 38 minutes to hit the 190 mark.

I started the cook at 230 degrees, went to bed an hour later and woke up at 2AM to check on them, the dome temp had risen to 310 and the butt was at 166. The wind had picked up quite a bit so I turned the egg out of the direct wind and adjusted the airflow. When I woke up again at 4:30AM, it had dropped down just below 200, the butt was still at 166 so that was promising. To raise the temp I had to reopen the airflow a little more, but kept it out of direct wind. It seemed to get back up right around 230 and stayed there for most of the rest of the cook.

For a first cook, I was very happy with the results and I'll be doing it again next weekend for my daughter's birthday party.

Here are some pic's below.

P5240026small.jpg
The temp/timer.

P5240032small.jpg
This was nice to see when you open the dome!

P5240033small.jpg
The bark tasted really good. Definitely my favorite part!

P5240041small.jpg
This is the finished product of the first butt to come off. My family ate some and then I gave the rest to a neighbor. :cheer:

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Pics are too large for me to see. Please resize them.
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    I've tried to resize it and 'resubmit' 3 or 4 times. It seems to work for a moment and then it pops back up to 1024. No idea why it would do that?

Any suggestions?
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    An excellent maiden voyage, PD, those butts look perfect. Welcome to the world of the Egg.
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Thanks! It was a real treat to have it work out on the first try.

Many thanks to the forum members who have posted so much information to help a guy start out.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Great looking cook. Can tell you've done this before and great recovery to adapt your skills to the egg. look forward to many great pics. Happy birthday to your daughter.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Congrats, glad you were successful! -RP
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Thanks for the note Pat. It was actually only my third time smoking anything. Previously, I have smoked ribs on the egg and once last year on my junky off-set smoker. I had read a lot about cooking the pork before I tried, so I was confident it would turn out okay.
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Thanks for your answer last night too! I was very happy with how it turned out and plan on picking up more at Sam's this week!
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I cooked two butts last week . I took them off at 185 and and I put them in an aluminum pan and covered with foil and froze them. My wife thaw them out Friday in the refrigerator and than Saturday put in the oven at 200 for a few hours.
    I was going to be gone to golf school but my wife still had some of our relatives coming over to the lake for the holiday.
    I called back yesterday and they raved about how good it was. My sister in law said she is going to have me cook some butts for her to have for July 4th.

I think taking off a little early and than reheating the covered pan for a few hours keeps the meat moist.