Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

YIKES, says I - look at this bad boy!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few minutes ago I went out to ready my small egg for tonight's supper of surf and turf. When I popped open the dome lo & behold a huge spider was looking at me from inside! As I stood there figuring what I was going to do it must have been figuring its strategy too. Suddenly he disappeared inside of course between the fire ring and the outer shell. So I removed my grate and was stirring the old lump when suddenly he came out.
IMG_2348.jpg

Using my trusty LawnRanger combination grate lifter & spider attack tool I coaxed it out of the egg on to the table.
IMG_2355.jpg

The leg span on that pup was 2.5" and the body was bigger than a quarter dollar.

This is what we call around here a "woods spider" and they are good spiders so I didn't kill it. With more coaxing it jumped off the table and is hiding out there someplace!

I always knew LP gas attracts spiders but lump too?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    That ain't a spider,it's a sabre-toothed cave cricket :silly: :laugh:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hey Ron, I walked out to my Eggs one morning and there were tarantula legs laying in front of my large. I called my daughter over to show her how weird it was that there were just the legs laying there. She says its not weird at all, when tarantulas mate and they are finished, the female eats the males body. Think I'd stay celibate. -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    LOL - back here the female praying mantis has a horrible reputation as well! No time for a smoke dude - better get a move on cauz the new momma is hungry and mean!

While neither spiders nor snakes scare me just the same I was startled as he was on the move as I opened the dome!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    LMAO but I'd say 15 seconds a side and put him in with the mushroom's :laugh: :sick:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I think we just found where the phrase... "Going out with a bang!", came from!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    We get Georgia tarantulas here. They are skinny and fast! Nothing but legs.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    That looks like a grey wolf spider. We get tons of them around here and they seem to prefer darker, out of the way places like my garage. I went up there one day to get some tools and this is what I found on the wall...

spidercamp.jpg