Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time question?

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's a rough time estimate for a 6 lb French cut rack of pork cook time? Cooked at 325 and want an internal of 145. This is a new one for me.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    expect a cooking time of 3 beers B)

http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_cooking_chart.htm

this will give you a place to start. my un educated guess.....you are cooking at 25° less and want to pull at 15° less than the chart. carnac says "20 min/lb or 2 hours" i would begin thermoprobing [that is a verb] at 15 mi per pound or 1.5 hours from start . or wait for someone who really knows to give you the right answer.
    bill
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This was very good. Might pull next at 140F.

Pork, Roast, Bone-In, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6 1/2 Lbs Pork Roast, Bone-In
    Seasoning
    6-8 Tbs Minced Garlic
    6-8 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    TIME
    5:00 PM 48°F (int) 350°F Dome
    6:15 PM 83°F (int) 350°F Dome
    6:30 PM 99°F (int) 350°F Dome
    7:00 PM 126°F (int) 350°F Dome
    7:40 PM 144°F (int) 350°F Dome
    Rested 30-45 minutes

Preparation
    1 Have the butcher cut between the bones and remove the chine bone so that you can cut individual chops w/bone for serving. Placed seasonings between the bones and on the top, placed in refrigerator for 5 hours, overnight would have been ok. . Let sit about 1 hour out of the refrigerator, to warm up.
    Cooking
    1 Pecan wood chips for smoke about 1/2 handful, dry.
    2 Used my Large BGE and set it up for indirect, 350°F with a drip pan and some water under the roast. Placed the roast, bone side down, directly on top of the grate and cooked for apprx 2 hours and 30 minutes. The goal was 145°F internal. Pulled and let sit for 30-45 minutes.
    3 Served with steamed broccoli, corn on the cob, salad and rice and gravy.

Servings: 8
    Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
    Ready in: 3 hours

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/04/21
  • HungryMan
    Options
    That about my guess. KI was thinking 2 to 3 hours. I can use the "have another beer theory" I'm cooking it at work. Not very beer friendly here.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I got a brine that I'm trying. I guess I will start it around 0830 for a target time of 1200hrs.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    staurday afternoon> eggin> no beer and at work as well!! i hope your weekend improves and you have a safe and happy Memorial Day.
    bill