Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Light The Eggs

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was some discussion about times to get the mini up to temp. Yesterday I decided to time it.

I used Mapp and light in two spots. It took 8 minutes to have the mini stable at 400° and cooking. Using napkin/oil it took 10 minutes to get stable at 400°, again lit in two spots.

Using a weed burner I can have the large or medium up to 400° in under 20 - 25 seconds and cooking within 5 minutes.

Wth Mapp I am usually getting sparks and holes in clothing from the poping embers.

GG

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Want to try a fun trick - light the mini with the weed burner.

My mini has no top gasket now.........
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I see that you are a pyromaniac also.I also had sparking problems with the Mapp.Earlier today FlaPoolman stated that he downside was that you can not spot light with the weed burner.I don't know why as I have never had a problem to light at three points.Perhaps he has to crank the little knob down a tad or two.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh man Rod, I'm sorry to hear that. With the problems I had with my gasket in the begining (my BGE beginning) I am super careful with potential hazards to the gaskets.

If I lit the mini or small with the flame thrower I would hold the tip close to the lump and pull the trigger then let up and remove.

Using the WB the first time sure got me excited.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL,

That is funny, you should hear my wife describe it.

I got my flame thrower in the worst of winter because it was too darn cold to take time to light the eggs. When I first lit it up, my wife was looking through the window. I had the valve opened most of the way held it up like the Statue of Liberty. Held the trigger down and clicked the starter.

My wife jumped back and it was all fun from then on. I got the eggs lit and couldn't stop using the WB that soon so I began to melt snow and ice.

I would think Richard has the full throttle set too high. I can light in spots if that is what I want. However, I like getting a nice wide bed of lump burning.

Got a few more flower pots to put together (still working on mohters day presents) and some planting.

GG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Kent, that's a great test you did. Now I'm going to have to head over to Harbor Freight for one of those fancy torches! I use MAPP, and have a great deal of respect for how it can blow apart some lump and send burning embers back at you! I don't usually have the valve open all the way, just enough to get the lump going. I light in several places, whether I'm doing a high-temp or low-temp cook, and all because I couldn't stand the smoke being given off by the smoldering starter cubes I got when I bought my first egg last year.

I appreciate the test results, and will let you know which color I picked for the weed burner.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I now use a mapp, am off napkins and have weed burner envy.

Walt
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That doesn't bother me....i don't need no stinkin gasket on the mini anyway.

I did it exactly as you mentioned, but the flame rolls right up and hits the lid gasket. No worries here.
  • 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    I just use one of the Fire Starter squares and a $.01 match and I'm good to cook in about 10-15 minutes. Easy as pie and hasn't failed yet.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Watch out fer them pooping embers!
    :):) :laugh: :):)