Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

4:22 am Butt Report

Smokin' JacketSmokin' Jacket Posts: 62
edited 10:29AM in EggHead Forum
Just up checking on 30lbs. of Boston butt....see link below for 11:00 pm. worries..thanks AZRP for your earlier help.

At 4:20 this a.m., butts (4) are about 170 to 172 degrees internal temp. After earlier concerns about not enough heat, (I have adjusted dome thermometer so that it is longer touching the butt when I close the dome)the dome temp is just below 300.

I am now heading back to bed...it was a long day Friday...my oldest daughter graduated from high school. Be back up around 7:00 a.m. to check the butts.
·

Comments

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,902
    Get yourself a wine bottle cork and slide that on your dome thermometer and you'll never have another problem again.
    ·
  • 407BGE407BGE Posts: 187
    I don't understand what you would do with a wine cork?? :blink:
    ·
  • BevoBevo Posts: 179
    I took a champagne cork and cut it in half, reserving the thick portion not the part that goes into the neck of the bottle. Then I removed the dome thermometer and inserted it through the thick portion of the champagne cork. I re-inserted the dome thermometer into the BGE and the probe is high enough that it does not touch the food, even if I am using my extended grate.

I'm not a wine drinker, but I have seen some wine bottles that come with a synthetic, plastic "cork". Don't use one of these; use only real cork.
    ·