Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Picnic roast started

NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
edited 3:10AM in EggHead Forum
well as promised, I put the picnic roast on tonight 11:30 MT, and after the temp stabilizies, I am going to call it a night. Will be my first cook past 6 hrs, and first overnighter, so I am excited.

Will post pics of the result.



  • Susan EgglaineSusan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    How is it going this morning? I thought about getting a DigiQ2 but I get excited also and am up checking on the cook during the night. HAVE FUN!!!! :)
  • NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
    First report, I am ahead of the curve, but I think(hope) I will be fine.

  • NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
    Looking good so far
  • Man,that's cool!!! I need to get one of those!
  • NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
    At 3:30 (Mountain) meat was at 190, dome at 224.

    I am going to kick the egg up a little bit, and pull the meat off the grill at 5PM my times, rest 2 hrs, and pulled pork sandwiches later tonight (guests at 7PM).

    I was somewhat concerned, doing all this by hand (i.e. was tempted to justify a DigiQ) but so far it seems to hold extremely well.


    p.s. the graphs are done in excel, by transposing my manual recordings. The first graph was annotated with photoshop. I am a believer in recording and measuring what you do, how else are you going to be able to change and learn. [especially since this is my first overnight]
  • NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
    Well afer my last post I did kick it up a little and all of a sudden things started moving fast.

    So at 4:19PM I pulled it with an internal of 198. That is after 16h49min.



    I wrapped them in aluminum foild and some towels and put them in a cooler, but very much looking forward to getting into them.

    I am surprised at the volume of lump charcoal left after 16 hrs.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.