Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with the ash?

Options
Knauf
Knauf Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there something useful to do with the BGE ash when removed? I was wondering if it had medicinal, cosmectic, agricultural or any other purposes. I would hate to be throwing something in the conservation area behind my house that could possibly make me the best looking, healthiest rose gardener on my block! :laugh:

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    If you are looking for a use for your ashes Wood ash can be used in your garden as a fertilizer, but it's very alkaline and should be applied with care; it can be good for neutralizing overly acid soils. Charcoal ash can contain trace elements harmful to plants and should be disposed of in the garbage.

Applying small amounts of wood ash to most soils will not adversely affect your garden crops, and the ash does help replenish some nutrients. But because wood ash increases soil pH, adding large amounts can do more harm than good.

If it's conservation you are worried about unfortunately lump charcoal, made from charred wood, may add flavor, but it's inefficient kilning process adds loads of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I used to burn a lot of wood in a home wood burner. I would lay a windrow of ashes below the fence. It would stop the vegetation from growing there.
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    That's a GREAT use for it, Eggineer! Kinda like an organic weed killer. ;)